• VIP
Hi, never thought of this before till somebody asked me today and i dont have the answer? do we have to pay for prescriptions when our children have left education. for us its a long time off but it would cost a fortune.
I never thought it would happen to me.

• VIP
(06-03-2011, 08:57 PM)lexie lamb Wrote: Hi, never thought of this before till somebody asked me today and i dont have the answer? do we have to pay for prescriptions when our children have left education. for us its a long time off but it would cost a fortune.

Hiya
Currently children get free prescriptions from 16 to 19 as long as they are in education. If they leave education then you would also lose tax credits, child benefit, etc. But if they cant work and claim income based ESA then they still qualify for free prescriptions. My oldest lad had to leave school at 17 as he was too ill. I lost all benefits for him and he had to claim ESA for himself and he now gets free prescriptions because he gets the ESA. It's very confusing and I expect the rules will change especially with the school leaving age being increased. My dad takes a lot of meds and he gets a prepayment certificate which saves him a lot of money.

Jayne x

• VIP
There's also a list of qualifying medical conditions and if you have one of them then you can get free prescriptions. My husband has epilepsy so he gets free prescriptions. He also qualifies for a disabled person's bus pass as he can't drive for medical reasons.

Jayne

• VIP
have a look here: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1126.aspx

I didn't know it counted if a person with a continuing physical disability and needs the help of another person could apply for exemption.
Good Friends are like stars;

You don't often see them ...
... but you know they're always there

• Established member
Probably by the time they have left education they will be claiming benefit in their own right and will be entitled to free prescriptions in their own right. Prescription's are free for everyone in Scotland so I wouldn't be surprised if they end up free in all of the UK eventually.

Linda x