• Moderators
not trying to be nosy but if you only owe £1000 how can that add up to all of the child tax credits? have they given you the correct amount as you should be getting a disabled child component or severe disabled child component if he gets high rate dla a £1000 over a year is less than £20 a week and that seems very low for 2 children one of whom is disabled. i would get an appointment with citizens advice as they can phone for you as taking the money in one go would leave you in financial hardship and i dont think they can do that. when they messed ours up one year and said we owed a lot of money they did take away the working tax credits but not the child tax credits so took 2 years to pay back but i cant remember how much it was but think it was lower than £1000
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
apparently we owed £1444 but they started taking back the over payment last year so i dont understand why they have decided to take our whole award for this year cause as u said its only £20 a week we havent recieved any disabled child component as we only got awarded dla 4 weeks ago and i told the tax credits last week wen i renewed our claim. would our income for last year affect why we are not gettin any tax credits this year?

• VIP
(06-05-2011, 11:10 AM)ambie28 Wrote: ive just got my award notice for this coming year and the tax credits are not paying us a single penny even thoguh we have a child with autism and he gets dla they are saying because they over paid us by £1000 in the tax year 2009-2010 they are taking the over payment back now which leaves us with no tax credits for this tax year im so angry we have our 3rd baby on the way due in october our weekly tax credits paid for our sons school meals every week our weekly essentials like bread and milk and put petrol in our car now we get nothing we dont use or sond dla for our living expenses its for our son so we put it in a bank account fot him and if he needs anything we use that money i only work 8 hours a week as my company have halfed my hours so im going get £200 a month if that which wont go very far, my partner works 50 hours a week as he does all the overtime he can get but his wages pay all the main bills and hes left with hardly £100 at the end of the month im so worried that we wont be able to survive eazch month.

can the tax credits take 100% of ur award notice to pay back an overpayment and leave you with nothing? the overpayment occured because i started work half way through the tax year so for the 1st months they are saying they over paid us i just dont understand why they are taking it back now 2 years on its so unfair im so angry and trying not to get stressed because im pregnant but ive hardly slept the last 2 nites because of this. sorry for the long rant i just need to know if the tax credits can leave us with no payments at all? x

I thought that they couldn't do that. have you asked if you can pay it back over a period of time

• Moderators
unless your earnings are over something like 50,000 (dont quote me on the amount i havent time to double check it as matt due back in a few minutes) you should still be entitled to child tax credits you can earn quite a bit before it starts to go down its the working tax credits that you dont get much the more you earn really.
you might only have started getting dla 4 weeks ago but you are still entitled to the disabled child component as its classed as a change in your circumstances, similar to when hubby went part time his money went up straight away (well a few weeks later but it was backdated to when we called up)
i would telephone them and ask as with 2 children you are entitled to more than £20 a week child tax credits and that is how much £1000 over a year adds up to and also to get them to add the disabled child component too also in october call them about your third child
only just read that its only a month that they overpaid you for so how can it be that much ? i would definitely phone and question this and if the person cant answer you ask to speak to their supervisor or somebody who can answer you as it sounds wrong
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
hi ive just looked at my award notice and i noticed that they didnt put on there that we recieve dla for our son so i called them back and asked them why they hadnt put it on our award notice and they said they only just got the paperwork last friday and that even though we are paying back an overpayment we have to get the disbaled child element of tax credits so we are now getting £35 a week which is enough to see us through each week i also told them that i will be getting matnerity pay from the job centre as i dont earn enough to be paid from my employer and they said i dont have 2 declare that so my income will go down and they will have to pay us a little bit more due to reduction in our income im so relieved that they have finally sorted it out so i caan now hopefully get a nites sleep and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy. thanx so so much for ur advice its great that people on here really do try and help xx