• VIP
Hi, our little girl has autism and needs help to improve her speech, she has a speech therapist who visits the school twice a term and I also get a copy of all the speech therapy work and help her at home too. I would just like something more regurlar for her maybe having a speech therapist visit the home weekly for a session.....does anyone employ a speech therapist? What cost would I be looking at? And were do I find a registered speech therapist? Thank you in advance for any replies. X
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
(05-31-2011, 04:54 PM)Ilovecake Wrote: Hi, our little girl has autism and needs help to improve her speech, she has a speech therapist who visits the school twice a term and I also get a copy of all the speech therapy work and help her at home too. I would just like something more regurlar for her maybe having a speech therapist visit the home weekly for a session.....does anyone employ a speech therapist? What cost would I be looking at? And were do I find a registered speech therapist? Thank you in advance for any replies. X

Hiya

Try this website which has searchable lists of qualified, registered SLTs in private practice:

http://www.helpwithtalking.com/

Not sure how much they will cost but we pay for a private OT for our youngest cos the NHS service here is so bad and that cost us £200 for the initial assessment and report and is then charged at £50 an hour for ongoing work. Thankfully we've only had to do pay ourselves for this school year and when he moves schools in September it will be paid for by them.

Hope this helps
Jayne x

• VIP
Hi, thank you for your reply. There is one therapist only 8 miles away-I am going to telephone tomorrow, the only problem we might have is trying to find a welsh speaking therapist who hopefully has some experience with Autism. I just hope the cost won't be too much but I don't mind paying because she really does need some extra help.

It just doesnt seem fair that you have to pay for an OT due to poor Work by the NHS, luckily only 3 more months to go before starting a new school. Thank you Jayne. X
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
(05-31-2011, 05:24 PM)Ilovecake Wrote: Hi, thank you for your reply. There is one therapist only 8 miles away-I am going to telephone tomorrow, the only problem we might have is trying to find a welsh speaking therapist who hopefully has some experience with Autism. I just hope the cost won't be too much but I don't mind paying because she really does need some extra help.

It just doesnt seem fair that you have to pay for an OT due to poor Work by the NHS, luckily only 3 more months to go before starting a new school. Thank you Jayne. X

No prob, hope you find someone, let us know how you get on.

Jayne x