• VIP
My 8 year old son has always been a bit clumsy and had severe speech issues and i have always been told that it is nothing and he is just a bit slower than his peers.
When his brother was born in 2009 with major difficulties they then decided that maybe there was a genetic reason for the 2 boys having problems,(i also have a daughter who is fine).
Anyway it has taken a long time to get him assessed and just last week finally saw an OT who has said he is hypotonic,dyspraxic and has a visual co-ordination disorder aswell as sensory processing disorder.
Now i am not sure what any of this means as he is the same as he always has been,but am glad he may get the help he has so desperately needed at school as his 4 year old sister has better handwriting.He thinks he is stupid but he just struggles with the actual writing he has it all in his head.

• VIP
Oh Chrissie its always something isnt it , i'm sure your glad though that you know now . He will get help with his school work and things in his life . Can he run and climb normally ? Thats when most seem to notice a problem and as you said bit clumsy . Hope the rest of you's are keeping well , you have a hard time of it lately xx
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

• VIP
thank you meagain,yes had a busy time recently lol,hoping it will calm down now!
He can run ok but kind of goes sideways but doesn't climb or jump well and only just started to ride his bike.Scott is still recovering so between the 2 of them with appointments i been at hospital everyday.
not sure what the sensory thing means so if you could enlighten me that would be great.He is terrified of the noise that crisps make and doesnt like his teeth brushed or his face touched.he also chews his clothes is that what it means?

• VIP
Hi my son has sensory issue , it can be mild or not like in my sons case . Just means that it depends on which of your son's sense dont work like ours . My son has problem with all his but his hearing . My son loves being really rough and is always biting as he gets so much sense from his mouth either us or himself he doesnt mind lol , he doesnt have much taste so he'd eat something really sour and wouldnt bother with him . There is so many kinds of it from being under active which my son has , so everything is rough , only things he really hates is loud echo places and depending on his mood which side of his body he doesnt like touched , it used to be his right now its his left , way i was told it would be like having pains and needles feeling . My son calms down with deep pressure as he cant handle when loads things going on around him at once so he has sensory melt downs . In most children an OT will work with your child and help them out with what issues they have with there sensory issues . I'm sure you are done in and really hope it all settles down for you soon xxx

Here is a link for you which i found good http://www.incrediblehorizons.com/sensory-integration.htm
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

• VIP
Hi, I really hope things calm down for you soon! My little one has sensory issues and I'm still learning about it. The OT came up last week and filled in a sensory profile, it's took about 1 and a half hours but we should get the results/outcome by next week. It will show up where her biggest sensory problems are and a way forward to help her. I hope this helps and I hope your little boy is getting stronger after coming out of hospital. Xxx
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart