• VIP
Hi All, i do appologise it is long sorry but im so mad right now..........

so fed up now been 9 months on waiting list for DFG, for a downstairs wash room for my son and access on driveway , we had a independant company comeout first time on there behalf , came checked wrote report,
then the manager of that company came out to check , wrote a report and looked around etc,
then she came out again with a man who does lifts , he said impposible to do a lift in our room(thank goodness) so next option was to do a downstairs wash room.

so she said they have to hand it back to the local authority and they will deal with it,

now recently we are having problems lifting my son up n down the stairs and when he has stooled due to medication movicol , when it comes it comes!! and goes everywhere

and its been a nightmare lately we change him downstairs and if its a problem poo and goes everywhere its absolutely impossible to get him upstairs with him like that and lifting , i cant do it , and my hubbys having back trouble now......and we are lifting him 6 times a day up n down!! we have a table in the kitchen when this happens its a quick run in the kitchen newspaper n blanket down on table and we bathe him there!!! i know its very bad , but what we meant to do..... now ive been on the phone to them to tell them its killing us ....also he gets hes wheelchair soon and we have no acces out the front the driveway consists of a big tree with loads of weeds on one side and just about fit the car on the other side but it takes over and no space to walk round we have to walk over the neighbours garden , but now she is getting a fence put up soon Sad

we have no ramps etc , and the tarmac has absolutely big weeds n stingers popping out , its that bad that the mobility aids man tripped n fell over them when he came to visit to do a asessment on my sons bike.

i have rang and they said a o.t will come out from the department and decide if its a priority if it is then it wil go on the priority list ...so he came out and agreed to me and my husband after see-ing everything and explaining how much its killing us ..he said he will be in a meeting which was monday , and put it to panel he even said it shouldnt be a problem i understand what ive seen etc etc!!

now i never had a call from him and have been chasing him up 3 days now , just got through, and hes given a differant story!!! arghhhhhhhhh he saying they cant give priority as they not sure what work needs to be done ....he said the manager suggests parking the car on the road outside for time being and we will put a temp ramp on!!

and as for the downstairs washroom they may need to do a downstairs bedroom for my son and he cannot sleep alone so may need to do a double room for one of us to sleep with him......so we cant say untill the techician person or architect can come out and see what needs to be done!! and no answer as to how long we have to wait for this.... also he did mention the limit will be 30,0000 and as its a big job it may be over and we will be responsible to pay the rest? i said what with? we dont work ? .....im soooo angry been given the run around ...told differant storys .....and now back to square one..........WHO ELSE HAS HAD THE SAME STORY? AND WHAT SHOULD I DO? REALLY LIKE SOME ADVICE ....

• VIP
OK, so my DFG advisor said that your local council has a legal and binding requirement to meet your needs now.
In the course of our conversation she mentioned how we were meeting them half way in what we wanted so that went in our favour etc. She went on to say that if her line manager got difficult then you can take it over their heads. So in my case not needed but I think in yours you need to do this.
She said that people, because its legal and binding obligation to get what you need in place, can actually take them to court for the works needed. She said it never gets that far and its arbitration and she said they will ALWAYS come down on your side and they will have a time limit put on the works.
If you think of your entitlement to the DFG like a contract between the government and your son, the government are not fulfilling their side of it.
So I think personally I would ring up and threaten to do to take it to an arbitrtor (basically mediation) if they don't get move on. There is no reason for the delay as the money comes from central government, other than their lack of organisation. See what their response is, if none, I quickly googled arbitration cases and a firm called Contact Law came up.
Note I don't know anything about this firm, but it says its free and it says they can put you through to someone who can give you advice.

• VIP
(05-25-2011, 06:43 PM)MariaH Wrote: OK, so my DFG advisor said that your local council has a legal and binding requirement to meet your needs now.
In the course of our conversation she mentioned how we were meeting them half way in what we wanted so that went in our favour etc. She went on to say that if her line manager got difficult then you can take it over their heads. So in my case not needed but I think in yours you need to do this.
She said that people, because its legal and binding obligation to get what you need in place, can actually take them to court for the works needed. She said it never gets that far and its arbitration and she said they will ALWAYS come down on your side and they will have a time limit put on the works.
If you think of your entitlement to the DFG like a contract between the government and your son, the government are not fulfilling their side of it.
So I think personally I would ring up and threaten to do to take it to an arbitrtor (basically mediation) if they don't get move on. There is no reason for the delay as the money comes from central government, other than their lack of organisation. See what their response is, if none, I quickly googled arbitration cases and a firm called Contact Law came up.
Note I don't know anything about this firm, but it says its free and it says they can put you through to someone who can give you advice.

oh thanx hun i appreciate that .....grrrrr they just giving us the run around .....

i'll have a look at that now ..x

• VIP
I give you my sympathies, these things can be so frustrating, esp when its something that will literally change your life! Let me know if they hurry and how you get on.

• Established member
you have all my sympathies
we are in the situation
we been waiting for DFG for one Year and 4 months and are still waiting
my daughter been left trap in the living room
she is stuck on sofa all this time and has to sleep, eat, have her change pads and wash on the sofa
the DFG is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!
hope you have better luck