• VIP
jack started nursery in november and they have noticed he is delayed and other problems, well saying that 2 of the staff saying hes fine but the one he will only go to says different.
they have said they are assessing him but ive been asking ages for report but still nothing.
can i ask about sen etc or does he need to be diagnosed and see pead first?

they have never heard him talk or with other children but think thats fine along with the refusal to do anything but sticking and if routine changed he kicks off
[Image: buttonsandflowers111102.jpg]

• Banned
Matthew when he is 2 will be moved to a special needs nursery, at the mo its a main stream nursery and there arent coping with his needs.

• Registered
Hi all my Órlaith is 28mths old, she has autism and attends a special needs pre-school 2 mornings a week. I told her paediatrician that I was thinking of putting her into a regular pre-school the other 3 mornings because she really loves school and I thought it would help her to be around neurotypical children. He didnt agree he said that it has become "fashionable" to mainstream children with special needs but it just leads to them being left out or bulliedConfused Any thoughts on this?
Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain.

• Moderators
when matt was 2 until 3 he was in a full time nursery attached to the college so they were aged 0 to 4 and even with no speech and severe autism (undiagnosed for first 6 months) he settled in well and the staff were great as they had to distract him so i could sneak out or he would scream the place down hehe, he then went to full time special needs school that started at 3 but the ed psych said he could go mainstream but he was in nappies and they would only have him for 2 hrs a day and as he was used to fulll time nursery and i was still at college i didnt want him to go part time. this was 15yrs ago mind and things have changed, i have friends who's mainstream Children started off part time for first term then went full time after they had settled. i would approach some nurserys in your area and speak to them as they and you know better what they can cope with more than a "professional" as when she gets older she wont be used to being away from you for more than a couple of mornings a week and getting her into a routine is important. Children at that age are rarely bullies and if its a good nursery if there are any it will be nipped in the bud. you are not "mainstreaming" you daughter she is not at school age yet and you can decide that when you know how you daughter is at a bit older. have u decided if you want her in a mainstream school or special needs school yet as special needs schools usually start at an earlier age anyway and tend to be full time after a settling in period.
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Registered
Thanks for the reply, to be honest bullying never even entered my head when I thought of sending her to a regular pre-school. I work in Child Care and never witnessed any kind of bullying with Children this age. I think she would get on fine, she doesnt really mix with other Children but she doesnt have any problems with them either she just likes to do her own thing lol. I think she will go to mainstream school, I live in a country area with a really small local school (like between 5 and 8 Children per class) and I know the SNA who works there. By the time she is school age she will know most of the Children who will be in her class or at least they will know her, so I think she will do fine. I just have to speak to the principle there to make sure that they can accomodate her. I think I will contact the preschool here to see if she could start in september. My main reason for wanting to send her is that she isnt talking at all and the Children that she goes to school with now seem to be mostly non verbal as well so I think it would be good for her to be around other Children Know what I mean.
Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain.