• Established member
Hi,
my son is almost 8. he is very small for his age.
He was referred to the dr and pediatrician after he exhibited some worrying behaviour.
since then he has seen the educational pychologist who said she thought he might have aspergers with damp, and think the child developmental team are assessing him for this.
he saw a occupational therapist who claimed nothings wrong with him.
a pysiotherapist who diaganosied tight hamstrings but after excersie having no effect he got discharged. ( i have since found out his symptoms are the oppisite of tight hamstrings)
he has now been referred to camhs.
none of these proffessionals have got together or supported one another and so the school is struggling to get any help for him.
he struggles everyday to stay seated he wnt sit down he isnt hyperactive he just feels very uncomftable seated he prefers to stand, but when he stands he tends to wander around the classroom in a world of his own and he doesnt even know he has done it.
he forgets things and when you ask him about things he has done that may of been wrong he doesnt even realise he has done it, forgetting house rules etc.
he self harms and has a very low opinion of himself.
he physically struggles to keep up with his peers, lacking in co-ordination cant ride a bike/trike, jump effectively etc.
he is so lethargic and hes so slow about his daily life.
can anyone give me any advice please.
i know i have gone on sorry.
charlie

• VIP
Hi sounds as if your son might have sensory issues as well , there is so many types of it , but your son does fit into it with finding it sore sitting and his co-ordination and self harm . Keep pushing and if you dont think anything is being done ask to be seen by a different doctor , good luck xx
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

• Registered
Hi Charlie,
I can totally relate to your struggle to get him the support he needs, and I know how hard it is to not have a diagnosis. I agree with Meagain, keep pushing. Make sure all the professionals are sending reports to you, to the school and to the pediatrician so you can all keep an overview. What really helped me when I was in a similar situation was speaking to a parent support worker at my local Special Needs Network. They were able to tell me where to go to get the support I needed to get it all co-ordinated, explain the terms the professionals kept using which I often didn't fully understand, and even attend some meetings with me.

Also it really helped my son when we joined local groups where there were other Children with disabilities and special needs. It helped his self-esteem to know that he's not alone in finding it difficult to do the things other Children his age find easy. And he made friends, at school he isolates himself from others.

In my experience charities often are more personal and helpful than professionals, and will support you and advise you to keep going and get your son the support he needs.

Hope this helps - good luck x

• Registered
(05-23-2011, 08:51 AM)SallyAA Wrote: Hi Charlie,
I can totally relate to your struggle to get him the support he needs, and I know how hard it is to not have a diagnosis. I agree with Meagain, keep pushing. Make sure all the professionals are sending reports to you, to the school and to the pediatrician so you can all keep an overview. What really helped me when I was in a similar situation was speaking to a parent support worker at my local Special Needs Network. They were able to tell me where to go to get the support I needed to get it all co-ordinated, explain the terms the professionals kept using which I often didn't fully understand, and even attend some meetings with me.

Also it really helped my son when we joined local groups where there were other Children with disabilities and special needs. It helped his self-esteem to know that he's not alone in finding it difficult to do the things other Children his age find easy. And he made friends, at school he isolates himself from others.

In my experience charities often are more personal and helpful than professionals, and will support you and advise you to keep going and get your son the support he needs.

Hope this helps - good luck x

• Registered
i would say you need to push for a statement, get the school or a social worker to help you do this. Depending on the support that he needs at school they may be able to get more help for him and money to fund this.

but im not sure how hard it is to get a statement of special needs for some one that sounds as though he is on the mild side as my daughter was on the profound side at it was easy although it takes 6 months

val