• Registered
Hi

My 7 year old daughter has been diagnosed with GDD and she has sensory issues.

Not until today did i fully understand how it must be for her. She has always hated having her toenails cut, hair cut, hair washed and I have found out its because she finds these things painful.

I cant imagine how it must be for her, but these things need doing and are essential. I keep hair cutting to once a year (normally at the end of the summer holidays just before she goes back to school).

Does anyone have any advice as to how is best to handle these difficult tasks that seem to cause her so much anguish.

Thank you
Keely xx

• VIP
Hi Keely - Jack has sensory issues with his autism though we have managed to overcome some of them - we've had to be very patient with him. He used to hate me cutting his toe and fingernails so I did them when he was asleep - he sleeps really soundly so it was easy for me to do.

He only had his first proper haircut a month ago as for some reason his hair doesn't really grow that fast and I just used to trim the back of it myself though I had to do this whilst he was distracted by something else. With Jack it was usually whilst he was watching the washing machine going round!

Our biggest problem is that he doesn't like anything on his head and won't wear hats - this is going to cause a fuss in summer and his nursery insist that all children wear caps outdoors in the sun. We've been playing games with him where we sing songs and put hats on and off in the hope he gets used to them. It also takes him a while to get used to short sleeve t-shirts and spends a lot of time trying to pull the sleeve down.

He used to hate me brushing his hair but I let him play with his brush and get used to the feel of the bristles before I attempted brushing - even now I have to tell him I'm going to brush his hair and let him see the brush before I do it.

I think it just takes time and their agenda to get over some of these obstacles but it's so bewildering for us isn't it trying to work out why they like some things and not others! x

Sue x

• VIP
(05-16-2011, 12:25 PM)keelytrott Wrote: Hi

My 7 year old daughter has been diagnosed with GDD and she has sensory issues.

Not until today did i fully understand how it must be for her. She has always hated having her toenails cut, hair cut, hair washed and I have found out its because she finds these things painful.

I cant imagine how it must be for her, but these things need doing and are essential. I keep hair cutting to once a year (normally at the end of the summer holidays just before she goes back to school).

Does anyone have any advice as to how is best to handle these difficult tasks that seem to cause her so much anguish.

Thank you
Keely xx

Ben used to hate having his nails cut but now he isn't to bad. as for having his hair cut he used to scream the place down in the barbers so we have someone come to the house every 4-6 weeks and he is fine with that.