• VIP
good luck with the potty training, Ben is 5 and still in nappies 24/7

• Registered
(05-16-2011, 12:55 PM)wweangelica Wrote: good luck with the potty training, Ben is 5 and still in nappies 24/7

yeah im not holding out a whole lot of hope to be honest , the thought of trying is really mindboggeling even knowin where to start, we are hoping to get her learning via the PECS system and i hope that when this is in place and we have some way of her communicating with us it may help...

• VIP
(05-16-2011, 01:05 PM)Xoni Wrote:
(05-16-2011, 12:55 PM)wweangelica Wrote: good luck with the potty training, Ben is 5 and still in nappies 24/7

yeah im not holding out a whole lot of hope to be honest , the thought of trying is really mindboggeling even knowin where to start, we are hoping to get her learning via the PECS system and i hope that when this is in place and we have some way of her communicating with us it may help...

Hiya

Have you spoken to your Health Visitor about potty training? Or do you have a Children's Continence Service that you can ask to be referred to? Don't do it if she isn't ready or you will just stress you both out. Also you do not need to have her toilet trained to be able to go to nursery. If she isn't ready because of her condition then they will have to change her at nursery when she needs it. My youngest was in nappies till he was nearly 6 and it was in his Statement as part of his needs so the school just did it, they also helped with toilet training.

Jayne x

• VIP
Hi, I have a little girl with ASD and Crohns Disease she is 5. With her, stress and anxiety really flare up the Crohns- during a really bad meltdown due to anxiety etc she also goes sick!!! When we used to go on holidays, weddings, family dinners and church she would be sick.....at a young age she wouldn't show her anxiety maybe cry a little but then we would have bowel movements several times and then she would be sick! Now she would get upset and say I'm feeling sad but not able to say why although we know it's the change of routine etc, we take her out of the situation rather than let it spill over.

Every child on the spectrum are so different and my situation might be completeley different for your little one.

At the age of three we had no speech and no concept about toilet training....we now have a child who can speak sentences in two languages and completely toilet trained. I'm just saying this as there is hope and more time is needed for our little ones to developed to best they can. We started with PECS days after her Third birthday and she really took to them immediately, they helped her speech but the most important thing for us was it helped understand what communication was all about.
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• Registered
thank you those who replied and especially for giving us such a lot of hope really, we try and stay positive for the most part but as yoiu can appreciate it can be difficult at times so its really good to read some inspireing stories, two language is amazing! Id be happy with just one word right now. I going to order the PECS DVD from this site and try and find somewhere to learn the system so i can start teaching her soon- I'm also in the process of seeking biomedical help through the autism treatment trust, have any of you used this? hoping to get some help with funds through caudwell children possibly with ABA too but we live in the highlands of scotland so difficult to find people prepared to come this far...still we dont know if we dont try! xx