• Registered
hello there, this is my first post on this forum although I have been a regular lurker for a while. I am seeking some advice from parents about my daughter Jess she will be 3 in september, she was diagnosed with ASD and GDD 6 months ago now, is completley none verbal. We moved home at the end of March, a week after us moving she was sick in her sleep, the first time shes ever vomited, the next day she had the runs, threw up in her sleep again the next night, this pattern continued for a week..the doctor said it was a bug and not to worry but the following two weeks she was being sick on and off again and the runs would always follow, eventually it went away , we had her stools tested, no bacterial infections found.

Anyway this stopped completley and gradully we have weaned her back onto her usual diet, but today the diahrea has started up again , shes just been three times in the space of a couple of hours, watery stools, and im pretrified shes going to start being sick again ( im really emetaphobia too which dosnt help ) we havent given her supper as figured just fluids this evening before bed would be sensible. Shes about to go up at 7pm.

Now my question is really, i looked around the internet and iv become increasingly aware that these issues might just to to do with her Autism? is there anyone else here who has experianced this, although the sites ive looked at mention diahrea they dont mention vomiting.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be really welcomed!

Thank you
Tracy x

• Moderators
i do remember reading when matt was young that children with autism can also be linked to crohns disease but as matts bowel issues were behavioural i didnt look into it any deeper. not sure if this is what you were talking about as havent heard of any other problems like that that are linked with autism

as it started when you moved house there isnt anything new in her room like a carpet or wallpaper that she might be eating or licking is there?? sorry just thinking of other reasons for being ill
i do remember reading when matt was young that children with autism can also be linked to crohns disease but as matts bowel issues were behavioural i didnt look into it any deeper. not sure if this is what you were talking about as havent heard of any other problems like that that are linked with autism

as it started when you moved house there isnt anything new in her room like a carpet or wallpaper that she might be eating or licking is there?? sorry just thinking of other reasons for being ill
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Registered
thanks for replying Smile

I have considered things in her room, because she cant use a cot, shes too big ..she has to have a mattress on the floor surrounded by a playpen incase she escapes and hurts herslef in the night, we are waiting for a safebed for her so i did wonder about the capret up there, after the first episode of illness i covered the part inside her playpen with a sheet so she cant actually touch it. I have also had the waterboard out to check the water which has come back as fine. I will lookinto chrones disease, its not something im failiar with

thanks xxx

• VIP
We have cases when Ben has had horrible nappies, Do you think it could be something that she is eating.

• Registered
I honestly dont know because the things shes eating shes always eaten, i think what may have happend is that shes caught a bug and its effected her really badly, she was being sick and had the runs for 3 weeks near enough and then it stopped thank heavens...its been 20 days until she had a bad nappy again but not sickness...i think the stomach bug had really imflamed her gut and its still not completley right, we are after having done a lot of searches on the net thinking of a gulten/dairy free diet along with starting her on probiotics? it cant hurt and ive read a lot of people fine overall improvements in thier childrens autistic symptoms too so double whammy if it does work? ...shes coming up three in september and due to start nursery, its struck me im going to need to try and get her potty trained, to be honest i dont even know where to start with her though as she dosnt communicate at all...i have 3 other older children without autism and things were obviously a lot simpler..