• Registered
Hi, i have a five year old autistic boy, a seven year old boy and a two year old girl.

His brother and sister are great with him and very patient with him but they are starting to notice his differences, such as his toilet needs and violent outbursts. This can confuse and upset them and i am having trouble explaining it to them why he can suddenly attack them one minute and be so loving the next.

Can anyone recommend a childs book or leaflet that deals with the issue that is suitable for a seven year old as he loves to read about things and i think it might be good to have his own source of information aswell?

Thanks

Kristian

• VIP
(01-16-2010, 09:21 PM)khoiland Wrote: Hi, i have a five year old autistic boy, a seven year old boy and a two year old girl.

His brother and sister are great with him and very patient with him but they are starting to notice his differences, such as his toilet needs and violent outbursts. This can confuse and upset them and i am having trouble explaining it to them why he can suddenly attack them one minute and be so loving the next.

Can anyone recommend a childs book or leaflet that deals with the issue that is suitable for a seven year old as he loves to read about things and i think it might be good to have his own source of information aswell?

Thanks

Kristian
if you contact the NAS they can tell you about all sorts of books i can think of one called My Brothers Different, but there are many more. there are also DVDs that are made for children that are gentle in there explanation. I hope you find what you are looking for. Also if you contact sure start they should be able to tell you when the Early Bird team meet and im sure they will have books to help you explain Autism to your children.

• Administrators
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Feel free to get involved and post where you can,all new members are welcome to the forum and we like to think its a freindly place.
There is a number of books to help explain to siblings one particular one i know of is called all about my brother,this can be found on amazon
There is also a very useful list here:
http://www.asha.org/public/books_aas.htm

I also know of an adult book giving a siblings view point on things thats worth a read its called Autism Through a Sister's Eyes and is a very touching book and really does make you think of the siblings feelings and helps parents understand what the sibling is feeling.
As Julie also said NAS have some information that can help.

Hope some of these ideas help and let us know how you get on as there are many parents who will be crossing this bridge at some point.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
Thanks for the replies, i hope they can give him a better understanding of what the world looks like through his brothers eyes.

• VIP
we have my brothers different, we just had to do some clever sticking and change all the brothers to sisters and hes to hers etc as it is our daughter who is autistic. My older daughter loves it and even took it to school with her to show her teachers why she comes into school with scratches on her face etc. She is 7 and although she still doesnt understand really what autism is she now realises that her sister does these things because she is autistic. She still gets really annoyed with her and everything but it has made her have a bit of understanding, we have to read it every couple of weeks to remind her that her sister isnt meaning to be nasty but thats just how she is.