• Established member
My son attends school part-time He has a 1:1 15 hours a week. First time since Sept 2010 my son had a no2 at school, 1:1 went to change him asked my son to wipe his own bottom!! he proceeded to scream for a time of 40 mins and eventually apparently wiped his own bottom!! My daughter picked him up from school(17 years) and passed on this information when i arrived home later in the day. Im so angry i thought a 1:1 was meant to take care of my sons personal needs? I would just like to know the facts before i go in Monday as dont wish to say the wrong thing, but surely they shouldnt have allowed this???

• VIP
hi hun

oh sorry to hear this thats awful

when you had the meeting at the school before he joined wasnt all this discussed? if it was didnt the school take notes? always take someone to take notes hun at all meetings , and what does it say on hes statement? you could try ringing ipsea ...they are fantastic , i dont have much faith in parent partner ship they are so full of poo!!!

i hope you get it sorted its just not on.......

oh and do you mind me asking? how old is he? did you say he only goes part time to school? is that reception? how many days and times is that hun?

• Established member
(05-07-2011, 11:08 AM)ambreen Wrote: hi hun

when you had the meeting at the school before he joined wasnt all this discussed? if it was didnt the school take notes? always take someone to take notes hun at all meetings , and what does it say on hes statement? you could try ringing ipsea ...they are fantastic , i dont have much faith in parent partner ship they are so full of poo!!!

oh and do you mind me asking? how old is he? did you say he only goes part time to school? is that reception? how many days and times is that hun?

He goes 3 hours a day but his statement reads full time with 15 hours assisted reason
used he is not 5 till August They dragged there heals first refused him LEA forced them to take him they finally employed a 1:1 in Nov so he didnt start till then everything is one huge battle just find the whole process upsetting. We are now fighting for a full time 1:1 which i know is going to be a long old haul!! They have to take him full time in Sept and this worries the school. My main reason for not pulling him out is he has a twin brother who is full time and settled. PP are crap!!! will get in touch with IPSEA but surely i am right that his 1:1 is meant to care for his additional personal needs including changing his bottom???!!!!!!!!

• VIP
(05-07-2011, 11:25 AM)Kimotei Wrote:
(05-07-2011, 11:08 AM)ambreen Wrote: hi hun

He goes 3 hours a day but his statement reads full time with 15 hours assisted reason
used he is not 5 till August They dragged there heals first refused him LEA forced them to take him they finally employed a 1:1 in Nov so he didnt start till then everything is one huge battle just find the whole process upsetting. We are now fighting for a full time 1:1 which i know is going to be a long old haul!! They have to take him full time in Sept and this worries the school. My main reason for not pulling him out is he has a twin brother who is full time and settled. PP are crap!!! will get in touch with IPSEA but surely i am right that his 1:1 is meant to care for his additional personal needs including changing his bottom???!!!!!!!!

wow ur right about being a battle!! im going through such a nightmare u might have come across my thread about fulltime being compulsery??

we having a battle with the LEA as we have appealed against the statement so they are being bossy and pushy

they want my son who is only 4 and so tiny and fragile
to do fulltime reception school in september hes not 5 till march next year

and i know full well he cant do it as he will not cope!! end of...but they not listening keep insisting full time!! im sick to death of them i think im going blow soon

thats why i asked you how did u manage part time ......

i would really reccomend ipsea ring them on the helpline and they will want you to talk over the statement and they will tell you what to do ....

• VIP
Yes, the assistant can and should wipe his bottom but it should be in the Statement as part of the help he needs. My youngest was in nappies when he started in the nursery and is now in year 2. He has only recently managed to poo on the loo and his poor co-ordination means he can't wipe his own bottom and his own TA goes with him if he tells her he needs a poo. It is in his Statement that he needs this help and also help with his clothes after so when he moves to his new school in september, they will also be helping with this.
If this isn't in your child's Statement then like ambreen said, get some advice about getting him reassessed as it isn't meeting his needs or wasn't done properly. IPSEA are good although it can take a while to get through.
Jayne x