• VIP
not been on for ages, keep saying i will come on more.

I'm getting more and more concerned there is somthing wrong with my son (2 years 4 months old), but i don't want to come off as a mum trying to find problems with everything.

For those who don't know my daughter is autistic, things seemed fines with my son but i've started to notice things

- his speech isnt coming on, he can repeat single words out of a picture book but has around 5-10 words he uses himself without promting
- he is scared of alot of things, trampoline, bouncy castle, dramatic music, remote controled cars/trains, soft ball play areas, swimming, lakes/ponds, ducks, farms, shower
- he is very naughty but in a repetitive way, like banging cuboard doors over and over, pulling the speakers out, will pick up things over and over even tho he knows he shouldn't
- loves being chased he will take food and tease the dog with it and run, even tho he knows the dog will prob knock him over, same with taking toys off his sister and she attacks him when she gets hold of him
- he eats alot of non-foods, washing up powder, fluff out the drier, dog hair, chalk, pencils, crayons, always putting dangerous things in his mouth
- doesn't like being spoon fed, doesn't like being lay on his back
- will sperate food on his plate, like he has pasta and peas, he doesnt like peas so he will take them off his plate and say if a pea does go into his mouth by mistake he will throw his food back up
- he likes to watch he same films over and over (im sure most Children are like this tho)

i've been the the gp and he is happy to refer me to speech thearpy, and was unsure about sending him to someone about his behaviour, he said he will think about it a bit more but speech thearpy is the place to start, he said come back in a couple of months and we will review him again. I'm so glad i moved here they want to help im so not used to it, last place i had to fight for melissa to be seen anywhere.

On positive notes he is very interactive, he loves being with people, he babbles, and understands, he is the complete opposite to melissa, she isnt scared of anything apart from bugs, she hates being touched and doesn't really like poeple, and she will eat anything and try loads of different foods.

Would you be worried about his behaviours, i really dont want to be that panicy person trying to find fault with everything, i think maybe i now just know too much so im always looking for signs.

Im so scared that they may be something wrong, melissa has gotten harder to handle the more she has grown up, its so hard just having a nice day out, im so worried i'll end up being stuck indoors to scared to do anything, i even get my shopping delievered and both the Children just scream and cry while shopping.

So didn't want to be going down this path again, reapting his problems over and over, seeing loads of different people, but then again i dont want him to start school and struggle then people saying if you thought he might have problems why not get him seen sooner

• VIP
My son's behaviour was similar to your son's. (Scared and the naughty behaviours), he was referred to the behavioural unit for assistance which was basically them showing me how to help him behave (supernanny stuff) and it actually worked. When we were seeing my daughters occupational therapist, Terry was present at most of her appointments and she actually saw his behaviours etc, she started to work with him (off the books), sensitive and movement. It worked, now he can get dirty and play on the trampoline without throwing a fit.

I know that this isn't the same as yours but i had to share. what we see in our children can scare us when something isn't quite right (if you know what i mean). so we know what to look for which can be bad and VERY GOOD. but i'm glad you got a referral very quickly though.
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• VIP
Hi, sorry to hear about your situation.....we have a little girl with autism who is five years old, our son is a year younger and even from a young age he would copy a lot of her traits!!! Like your boy he is very sociable and interacts well with others. Even now sometimes he will talk in an American accent because she does, but doesn't show any of this in school or outside the house. She does get a lot of attention with us and gets praised all of the time and I'm sure he does copy with us to get some extra attention.

Every situation is different and I know how hard it can be some days as its just so unpredictable. I really hope your situation will improve and maybe it is just a stage that he is going through. Please keep us updated. Big hugs. X
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
my daughter is 5 also Smile im hopeing its nothing to worry about but i will post with any new updates, speech theapy could be a 6 month waiting list, so thats really why i wanted him to be refered now, with any luck we wont need it by the time we get in.
I'm also thinking it could be an attension thing, as he knows if melissa attacks him, i will tell her off as he comes off alot worse, but i now most of the time he starts it like touching her when he knows she hates it. But if she has smacks his head off the table i can't just stand there saying "i told you so"
i'm feeling alot calmer now, just got to wait and see, feel like i spend all my time worrying

• VIP
I know what you mean if we are not worrying about this it will be about that!!!! 6 months does seem like a long wait but the same as everything else we always seem to be waiting! As you did say though maybe by that time he won't need it. Is your daughter under a ST? Does she visit the house? If so maybe you could drop it into conversation when she does a visit!! A bit naughty but worth a try maybe. Our daughters ST visits school but wil also come up to the house if I telephone her regarding the ST work we do at home.
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart