• VIP
Hello ,

I have not posted here for a while was trying to find my old post a
about my Son to update everyone who kindly answered my thread a while back but cannot trace it .

O h well my son has now been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome and adhd,
he now get DLA and I now claim carers allowance, we live in a local Authority house.
which is really nice live next to a park , but my 2 son's can no longer share a bedroom due to his condition is getting worse and worse and i am scared about them harming each other. Can i apply for a Grant for a Loft Conversion to seperate them as in put a bedroom in the loft, or basically will the local housing Authority put us hihger on the housing tansfer list and make us move rather than giving us and grant? to get al arger house?

Thanks for any replies

• VIP
I would contact the housing people and discuss your issues and see what they advise to do. A friend of mine, in social housing, got her family moved up a band because of a letter from her OT backing up her needs for a different property and was recently moved to a more suitable house because of this.
A letter from one of the professional people involved with your son would go a long way to help you, so I would also talk it through with someone. Who is your first point of contact for issues with your son? Give them a call and ask for their help and advice.

• VIP
Thanks for your reply very nice of you not been on here for a while,
I have a letter a very strong one from the lead professional at the Hospital backing us if we decided tp put the letter in to move. However I was really hoping to try an avoid a move and get a grant or help to create a new room for my son in the loft as we cannot afford this. Moving would be a great as we live opposite a Park etc which is of great benefit to my son,s special needs which the professional has backed us upon also. Just thats why i was hoping for advise about qaulification on any grants for help we can get to resolve it without moving.
But i suspect the owrst that they would rather put us top of the list so we have to pay to move rather than help us with any grant about a loft conversion.

Thanks Again

• VIP
Unfortunatly I think that you are right, in private housing they would give you a grant to adapt the house, but rules are different in Social housing. The people who would know are they Major Adaptations Team for your area, under housing services. You should be able to ring your local council and get their number.

• VIP
Just looking at the section's , probally placed this post in the wrong been a while since I have been back on this forum , been dealing with my 3 Children and meeting after meeting to get my son where he is now been hard as I have a 3 year old girls also that maybe the same I hope not , but time will tell I think the letter i have got is strong enough to try and get a grant but if they come up with a bigger house with the same attributes as my area does then i will be forced to paying for a move. As its been stated in the letter how the benefit's of living near a park etc is very helpful to asperger's so probally the local housing aurthority will be busting there gut's to save the money of helping us with any loft coversion. Anyway cheers for your replies appreciated.