• VIP
Hi,
My son is 3, he is bright as a button and I believe one day he wil walk because of his own perserverance to do so.
He has spastic diaplegia, but in addition to his legs he has tightness in his arms and hands. He is diaplegic because its more profound in his legs. He is on the ball and although he is in an assessment nursery at the moment he will be in mainstream some of the time as of September.
I am not worried that he cannot walk as I think he will hold his own and get in on the games going round, he loves others. However, he is finding it difficult to feed himself because of the tightness in his arms. He is also finding the concept of a potty completely alien.
Firstly, how far would you push the eating? He is getting it, sometimes he will do it himself but not alot and it is obviously hard. However I am just not sure of he is playing us or really can't, he seems to do OK with pudding, the spoon goes everywhere, but he tries. We've tried building up spoonfuls, but he just seems to melt into 'I can't' if we set any kind of challenge. We end up feeding him.
Secondly, we're taking the potty thing slowly, but if anyone has any experience of training a boy with CP, any tips and ideas, please, help!
Many Thanks
Maria x

• VIP
Hi how is he is with finger foods ? Just keep giving him his food and tell him once he has ate it he will have pudding . My son is 3 years old , but he has low tone , he has started lifting bits food of the high chair but he is lazy and used to being feed so when your given him food he will open his mouth , its lot harder trying to help a child who has problems to eat . Anything sweet my son loves , but if i give him a spoon its in his mouth and thats were it will stay x
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

hi

My 11 year old daughter became disabled aged 2 and although she isnt classed as having CP ( because she walked before) the effects are quite similar. She has bilateral hemiplegia...both arms and legs are affected but they were affected separately so they differ in severity, her left side is the tightest.

My daughter has come a long way and was walking alone for short distances a few years back but due to seizures and a dislocated hip she cant anymore. I would say push him as much as you can, its hard when they are young as they dont understand that their co-operation could make all the difference. Our physio was lucky to get 10 minutes hard work out of Sofie when she was your sons age, she now tries hard at everything that is asked even if its hard.

With the eating, my daughters right hand has improved alot and is nearly a 'normal hand' so we are lucky that she can feed herself with this hand if I cut everything up for her. She hasnt much use with her left but uses it as a helper if she needs to do things, she is quite determined to do things alone if she can and she does amaze me in the things she manages to do. Ask your sons OT for help with feeding, she might have a special spoon to make things easier while he gets a little more use in his hands, I'm sure I remember Sofie having one that kind of curled towards her so she didnt have to turn her arm or wrist.

With the potty training, I didnt worry about it until she was about to start school as it didnt seem like a big issue at the time, she got it straight away as I had left it till she was more than ready. My daughter started in a mainstream class in a resource school and the children all loved her, she did move to the resource unit in year 3 but that was because of her learning not her physical disabilities.

Hope I've been some help, all you can do is get him to try and explain that the more he does things the easier things will get.

Good Luck xx

Proud mum of 3...... Dani,13, amazing child....Sofie,11, my smiler, physically disabled, 3 strokes aged 2, speech issues, learning difficulties, epilepsy.... and Luke,2, diagnosed with autism January 2011, non-verbal cheeky chappy.

• VIP
Thank you for those replies. He is Ok with finger foods, and the OT's spoons, well I got to the point where I felt I wished I had never bothered to ask!
Thanks for the re assurance about pushing him, he has high tone, so he seems like he is fighting to eat all the time. He is tighter on the left also. So we always give the spoon or fork to the left hand, although for reasons best known only to him, he will sometimes swap it to the left!
Its also good to know these feeding issues are fairly common! We will keep going and let you know how we get on!