• VIP
Hi All

just wanted some advice on a matter

my son who was 4 in March has cerebral palsy and global dev delay and other little problems

he has a full statement (undergoing tribunal)

is in nursery at the moment only does 2 morning sessions

we had a meeting with the nursery and LA and they want to rush him to do fulltime asap

as they say it will help him get into reception in september

I understand he starts reception (at another school) and it will be full time , which i am absolutely dreading

But the thing is my son is so weak , he is clever , but fatigues very easily this is why i only have him p/t nursery as i know he cannot take full time

we also have to do hes therapy excercises with him every day as he has got a standing frame for hes commited target training programme

i have agreed to take him 3 sessions , but no way do i want him any longer as i know him better he gets so restless

i am so so worried come september what are my rights ?? do i have to take him in full time?

can i have a choice to do part time as he will still only be 4 .....is it compulsery?

i really need some advice as im going out of my mind with worry

much appreciated

Ambreen x

• VIP
my understanding is, they don't officially have to start full time schooling until the term following their 5th birthday. Most Children go full time in reception class, which is the term after their 4th, but this is still optional until they turn 5. I am in the same boat right now. Zak turned 4 last Saturday, and I don't think he will cope going from 5 mornings to full time, so we are going to stagger the days and hours to suit him. Test the waters with a couple of full days, and up them if he manages.
Mags, Mum to Ash (12) and Zak (4). Zak has very severe spastic quad CP, Lennox Gastaut Syndrome, Reg blind, Gastrostomy fed, profound GDD, Epilepsy and bloomin' cute.

• VIP
(04-29-2011, 10:21 PM)zaksmum Wrote: my understanding is, they don't officially have to start full time schooling until the term following their 5th birthday. Most Children go full time in reception class, which is the term after their 4th, but this is still optional until they turn 5. I am in the same boat right now. Zak turned 4 last Saturday, and I don't think he will cope going from 5 mornings to full time, so we are going to stagger the days and hours to suit him. Test the waters with a couple of full days, and up them if he manages.

Thank you zaks mum

its a battle and a half, such a worry i think im going to have to get propa help maybe even legal help on this matter as i know the LA are just bullies and they are just pushing him in ...

• VIP
Like Zaksmum said education, whether at school or home education, is not compulsory until the term after a child's 5th birthday so he doesn't have to start school until then. However, you also need to find a school which will agree to a part time place which may be difficult unless his Statement is reviewed and the various professionals involved agree with you and support this. If he can't cope with full time school for medical reasons then it should be considered. I would suggest you ask for advice on this from your local Parent Partnership or IPSEA so you don't get pushed into anything you don't think is right for him.
Most schools here do part time for the first half term anyway and build up to full-time but if he needs it for longer due to his condition then they can't just ignore his needs although you will probably have to fight for it.
My oldest son was part time at school for the whole reception year (without a Statement) as he couldn't cope emotionally or socially but I was lucky to have found a good, supportive school. He was also part time for most of seniors due to having chronic fatigue syndrome and ended up being educated at home by the hospital education service for 2 years. 
Do bear in mind that if you choose not to send him in September at all then it might be more difficult to find a place for him later in the year and he will have missed a lot of learning but will probably still be expected to move up with the class to year 1 unless you can make a case for him to be held back a year which isn't always something LA's like to do. 
If you feel that strongly then maybe you could get support from any professionals to keep him where he is for another year before starting school a year later but still in reception. 
Good luck with this, let us know what happens

• VIP
(04-29-2011, 10:52 PM)getthekettleon Wrote: Like Zaksmum said education, whether at school or home education, is not compulsory until the term after a child's 5th birthday so he doesn't have to start school until then. However, you also need to find a school which will agree to a part time place which may be difficult unless his Statement is reviewed and the various professionals involved agree with you and support this. If he can't cope with full time school for medical reasons then it should be considered. I would suggest you ask for advice on this from your local Parent Partnership or IPSEA so you don't get pushed into anything you don't think is right for him.
Most schools here do part time for the first half term anyway and build up to full-time but if he needs it for longer due to his condition then they can't just ignore his needs although you will probably have to fight for it.
My oldest son was part time at school for the whole reception year (without a Statement) as he couldn't cope emotionally or socially but I was lucky to have found a good, supportive school. He was also part time for most of seniors due to having chronic fatigue syndrome and ended up being educated at home by the hospital education service for 2 years. 
Do bear in mind that if you choose not to send him in September at all then it might be more difficult to find a place for him later in the year and he will have missed a lot of learning but will probably still be expected to move up with the class to year 1 unless you can make a case for him to be held back a year which isn't always something LA's like to do. 
If you feel that strongly then maybe you could get support from any professionals to keep him where he is for another year before starting school a year later but still in reception. 
Good luck with this, let us know what happens

ahhh thankyou very much for your advice 'get the kettle on' (wow loving the name by the way)

i think it might be worth me having a meeting with the actual school head and senco without the LA and asking them if he can start p/t and see what they say before the LA poisen them

they are only bullying us as we have appealed against the statement so they just finding loop holes Sad

but thankyou once again x