• VIP
We are looking at moving. We have looked at EVERYTHING our city has to offer avaliable on the market. We have come to the conclusion a bungalow would probably most suit our needs. I mentioned this to my son's OT and he said that in his x years experience he had only had 2 people move to bungalows, houses were very adaptable.
We've made an offer on a Bungalow and I just wondered what people thought, a house with adaptations or a Bungalow?

• VIP
Hi, we live in a house but are in the same dilemma!

We are looking for a bungalow and hoping to put our house on the Market during the summer as I feel It would just be safer all round for us and our situation, no worrying about the stairs, all the safety and bathroom upstairs!!

With us I am unable to let her walk the stairs alone as she's just not safe going up or down alone, she is physically able to do it but looses concentration and would fall if not supervised. She also has Crohn's Disease and during flare ups is not able to make the toilet in time-having one on the ground floor would give her more of a chance to get there in time and also help with her independence.

Our key worker did suggest a DFG grant for a downstairs bathroom and shower room, which would be a great help but I would still have the stairs!!! I do hate the stairs!!!

I worry about everything and for me I don't think I will be happy until we buy a bungalow, but every family is different and all our children have different needs. Have a look round and take time to think things through before you take any big decision!! Good Luck.
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• Registered
We have just sold our house which was not adaptable at all...and today put an offer on a bungalow that has already been converted for a wheelchair, so fingers crossed we get it...

• VIP
Cross everything I say, good luck and I really hope you get the bungalow.
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
Ilandka, Wow, thats great to hear - I hope it ll goes well, we are waiting to see if our offer is acceptable to the vendors, so we know how your feeling. lets hope it all goes well

Did you know, the DFG grant can be used in two ways. Firstly for adaptation or if you house is going to go significantly above the 30k to adapt, they will 'enable to move' by giving you the 30k to add to your mortgage, There are some catches, your not allowed to move for 10yrs, they put a charge on the land and if you do have to move they ask for the money back. This means only Halifax or Nationwide will lend to you if you choose to do that. They must also be happy with the property and come and visit etc. But the person I have met has been extremly helpful to us, there is no way we could have afforded a large enough bungalow without it.