• Registered
Hi my name is Keely and i am new to this forum. I am looking for some advice really. My daughter Sophie is 7 and had just been diagnosed with GDD. I dont really know much about this only what i see in Sophie, and i dont really know what is going to happen from here. I have looked on the internet but there doesnt seem to be much information about it. Any information that i have found have been for children much younger.
If anyone is in the same situation or knows anything about GDD i would love to hear from you.
Thank you

Keely xxx

• VIP
hi keely. my son has global developmental delay too along with hypotonia and an undiagnosed neuro disorder, as far as i know it,s a collective term meaning significant development delay in almost all areas usually used when no specific diagnosis can be found. children with GDD can vary greatly in their level of disability. i can only tell you what my son is like if it would help.
were all angels in waiting!!

• Registered
Hi
Thank you. I have never heard of it until diagnosis. I think it probably would help. Its hard as non of our friends know anything about it so it is quite difficult to talk to them xxxx

• VIP
i know what you mean it's hard to try and describe alfie to people who don't know him. we usually get "but he look's so normal" what ever that is suppose to mean! aflie is 3, he can't walk or talk but bottom shuffles and can babble da da, ma ma. he seems to understand some things but not others. he didnt respond to his own name untill he was 2 n half, sat up at 18 months bottom shuffled at last summer. every day is different with alfie he has days when he seem to understand and respond and days when he;s in his own world although they are much fewer now. he's happy all the time and loves to be around other children but again that is something that has only happend recently. every day is a learning curve with him and i understand him a little more each day x
were all angels in waiting!!

• Registered
Aw bless him. Sophie sat up and walked at the correct ages but her speech has always been a worry. She had a repeat hearing test when she was 3 as should could hardly say anything. All she seemed to do was squalk! I found it very hard as untell then i hadnt realised how much you rely on verbal communication with your child. Her language is very immature now and she finds it extremely difficult to express how she is feeling or to tell you what she wants. She is very clumsy and constantly has bruises on her legs, which has become more apparent now the weather is nicer and she is in the garden alot more lol. My 4 year old started school in September and is a very clever little girl. She is above Sophie with reading and writing which at times, just lately, Sophie has felt quite frustrated with. It is difficult to talk to Sophie and give her simple maths questions as Eleanor has to get in there first with the right answer. I find it hard having 2 children who are so academically different. I think if Eleanor was older than Sophie it would be easier as i could just tell Sophie it is because Eleanor is older and one day she will be able to do that.
Sophie is very tall for her age. She shares clothes with my 12 year old lol. It is hard when Sophie is having her 'meltdowns' in public as people look at me like i cant control my child. She only reacts like that out of frustration and because she doesnt understand plus the added thing of she actually looks older than she is.
Sorry about the lengthy post i guess sometimes you need to just off load.
It is nice that Alfie likes to be around other children, only in the last few years have i understood how important social interaction is to the development of a child.

Thank you xxxx