• Registered
Hi, this is my first post so hello to everyone. I have a 10 year old son with ASD, hypermobility syndrome, and dyspraxia. We got turned down for DLA April 2010, after reconsideration we were awarded LRC. So appealed again, finally going to tribunal next Wednesday.
My son's consultant was going to be my rep but has been struck down with a nasty bug and is in hospital herself,so can't attend. I don't want to postpone so i'm going alone.
Like so many other people it would seem, the schools report let us down. Stating things like he is only slightly behind when its over 2 years, not bad when you have only been at school for 4 1/2 years!! according to them he has NO behaviour problems. and totally road safety awareness, funny this as he has NEVER been out of the school gates during school hours.
He has now moved school as he was been bullied, the new school had him for only 2 weeks and said his SEN statement needed to be increased. It has in fact just been doubled to 0.8 from 0.4.
The decision not to award MRC or HRC was taken in September last year, the letter i have from his new school is dated November. Will they take this into account or just say he has deterioted?
I know its alot to ask but could anyone look at the two main pieces of evidence i have and give me their honest opinion? The lady from CAB said it will be a walk in the park......famous last words!!!
Thank you in anticipation

• VIP
Hi i hope everything goes well, i lucky have never had to have a tribunal ( waiting on hearing back about my son dla at the moment ) I know a few people have had problems and have to fight for dla , hope someone else reading this can advise you xx
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

• Administrators
I believe the walk in the comment park to be a little worrying if im honest Sad
They shouldnt say this sort of thing really Smile
I would be happy to take a look at the evidence if you want Smile
The tribunals can be a daunting place and a few other people have gone it alone and found it very tough and its such ashame your doctor cannot give a statement on the day as this would have made things alot stronger.
Im assuming they have provided a written statement.
Its assuring that the new school have looked to increase the statement and this means the old school obviously didnt recognise his needs.
Have they accepted the school letter as a report for the tribunal?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
(04-24-2011, 05:50 PM)Mellc Wrote: Hi, this is my first post so hello to everyone. I have a 10 year old son with ASD, hypermobility syndrome, and dyspraxia. We got turned down for DLA April 2010, after reconsideration we were awarded LRC. So appealed again, finally going to tribunal next Wednesday.
My son's consultant was going to be my rep but has been struck down with a nasty bug and is in hospital herself,so can't attend. I don't want to postpone so i'm going alone.
Like so many other people it would seem, the schools report let us down. Stating things like he is only slightly behind when its over 2 years, not bad when you have only been at school for 4 1/2 years!! according to them he has NO behaviour problems. and totally road safety awareness, funny this as he has NEVER been out of the school gates during school hours.
He has now moved school as he was been bullied, the new school had him for only 2 weeks and said his SEN statement needed to be increased. It has in fact just been doubled to 0.8 from 0.4.
The decision not to award MRC or HRC was taken in September last year, the letter i have from his new school is dated November. Will they take this into account or just say he has deterioted?
I know its alot to ask but could anyone look at the two main pieces of evidence i have and give me their honest opinion? The lady from CAB said it will be a walk in the park......famous last words!!!
Thank you in anticipation

Hi Mellc, I agree with Daniel, I wouldn't refer to a tribunal as "a walk in the park." we have two children with Autism and initially we got turned down for DLA, and our report from school basically said our daughter was no where near as bad as what we were saying. Both ours now get higher rate DLA Care, we went to a tribunal yes they can be a little daunting, however when we were there everybody was very nice. My only advice would be make sure you are prepaired and take everything that you think maybe relevent, or may help you make your case. Good luck and I hope everything goes well for you. Parents like us need all the help we can get most of the time, so i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Kel

• Registered
Thank you for your wishes, its very reassuring at a time you feel out on a limb. I never imagined it would be a walk in the park, despite what i was told.
I have re and reread the evidence.
His old school wrote 3 sentences about him,I have sent in 208 A4 pages of other evidence but in the SOR they said that it was the school report which got him turned down. He actually "escaped" from his old school and was gone for an hour before he was found banging his head up a wall because everything was too loud. But during this time he didn't get run over so supposidly must have road awareness (silly me why didn't i think of that)
Thank you daniel i would like it if you could look at the two statements i have. Shall i send you a PM?
A few years ago i represented myself in court, fighting against a national holiday company and won, now that seemed easy compared to this!!
I am worried they will try to trip me up and put words in my mouth. And dread of all dreads is them posting the decision!