• VIP
I have to agree with Jayjay, a statment should put your daughter to the top of the list. The process for application means that, children in care get first pick, then children with statements, then they refer to the area etc. The Head when she told you a statment was sure entry was speaking truth. Something has gone wrong at the application place. Parent partnership and your childs ed psych should help you and she will get in.

• VIP
Sorry but this is NOT true. The Head was not 'speaking the truth' - a Statement of SEN does NOT mean you will definitely get a place in the school you want although as i previously said, Statements can and often do help in securing a place in a preferred school. With the parents I have known or worked with they have all got their Statemented children into the school they wanted, which isn't surprising as they have such limited reasons allowed for refusal, however it is not guaranteed and no one involved in Education should mis-inform a parent about this.

As a parent of a child with a Statement you have the same right as any other parent - that right is to express a preference and that is all. You may not always get the child into your preferred school and if the LA and/or school can justify this within the law then they are allowed to do so, although the reasons allowed are limited.

The issues with this particular case is whether or not the application process was carried out correctly, the reasons for refusal, as well as the Head mis-informing the parent of the whole application process.

The application process in England is nothing to with Head Teachers, they have no say in allocating places and should not mis-inform parents about a process over which they have no power. Head teachers have no say in allocating school places as this is now always done by the LA, unless the school is a Voluntary Aided Church school, an Academy or Foundation school, in which case the Governing Body allocates places according to their published admissions criteria. If the school is within one of these categories then the Head is usually (but not always) on the Governing Body and so may be involved but if the Governors are applying the law correctly, the Head alone would not allocate places in these circumstances either. This is why the Head was totally wrong to advise otherwise.

Children with Statements are no longer mentioned in the admissions criteria as having priority as they used to be and when the admissions system changed, the admissions process for SEN children with a Statement changed too.

When you applied, whether online or on paper form, you would have had to indicate your child had a Statement. This means your application is dealt with by the SEN team not the general admissions team. As LAs prefer to allocate SEN places within the normal admission number, this is one of the reasons they allocate SEN places first. This is why I've known since January where my youngest will be going in September when his classmates are still waiting for their letters.

The process should be that the SEN team receive your application, either direct or from general admissions, then they start the consultation with the school. The LA write to the school, with a copy of the Statement, and ask if the school can meet the child’s needs. The Head & Governors then have 2 weeks (I think) to discuss this and agree or disagree. They do have to give specific reasons within law to refuse a child. This may be if the school is genuinely not suitable, (both the school and Panel can agree this) if they feel the child needs more support – which may mean the Statement goes back to Panel for review and if agreed then the school may then say yes – or if there are other reasons like the previous poster said, such as harming the education of other children – this is a hard one for them to prove and they must be able to justify their reasons as this can be challenged. Funding is not a reason to refuse a place so if this has been given to you as the reason for refusal then this should be easier to challenge legally.
If the school agrees to take the child then the decision goes to Panel for approval and the named school will be changed. If the school refuses the child, the Panel can order that the school takes the child anyway – this can happen if the reasons for refusal are questionable. Or the Panel can uphold the decision and a different school may be suggested which they feel does meet the child’s needs better. As long as they can justify their decision legally they are allowed to do this. Sometimes this happens if there is disagreement over special or mainstream provision.

Is is a very complicated process and what we think 'should' happen as with most things for our special children, is not often what actually happens.

• VIP
that doesn't seem fair to me. is there any other schools that your daughter could go to
that doesn't seem fair to me. is there any other schools that your daughter could go to

• Established member
Hi everyone sorry its been so long to reply , Amellee had to go into hospital for an operation on her teeth so havent been on for a while , well after all the disaster of no placement and the pretty spineless response from headmistress who is now being investigated by county ( due to her calling me a liar about her guaranteeing Amellee a placement, this backfired as the 8 other preoffessionals involved in ther meeting passed on there notes to prove her high n mighty gob shite attitude of guaranteeing placement were true), i have got her into the local school , im a litle gutted as the original school had 300 children from reception to year 6 where as the new school has 500 children from reception to yr 2 , the chances are she will then go to the special needs school in the next town as the junior school in this town will not be able to cater for her needs ( the pointof going to smaller school was so she didnt have to change schools and the smaller amount of children wouldnt be so distressing) . But anyway i have had 3 meetings already and the school have been amazing they have bent over backwards to help and have decided with me that she shall start in January do that the september children will be settled by then and Amellee will just slot into there routine also she will meet her one to one carer way before January and they have said she can come in and see her whenever she wants to get used to her , im relieved its been sorted and Devon Partnership were fabtastic support (although i have just found out Devon partnership is not going to be running much longer , not sure if its just our area or wether its the whole of. england).

Sort of think now that her originals schools attitude and lies didnt bode well for Amellees education so it would seem a godsend she isent going there, unbelievably the foolish head mistress approached county for extra funding regarding Amellee and this was after the refusal letter to me was sent which she was well aware of because she had already forwarded Amellees file to the new school, hrence investigation now for obtaining funds for a child who isent attending ...Karma i think lol , thanks again everybody x x x

• VIP
Hiya
Glad things are getting sorted, the new school sounds really good even if it isn't what you wanted. Hope Amellee settles in there ok. That head teacher should be sacked after all the lies and everything.
Good luck
Jayne x