• Registered
Hello everyone,

Following my introduction, Daniel advised me to post here so here goes Smile

Ok, my story is long but I will try to abbreviate as much as I can. My family and I are in private rented accommodation, we have been since April 2005. We have just moved into our 4th property in 4 1/2 years. We have had NO adaptations & NO equipment in this time for our daughter's need's.

We have been on Local Councils waiting list since May 2006 and also every Housing Association but not 1 offer in this time. Our Council works in bands from A to E we are in Band B - A is for people with life limiting illnesses etc (which my daughter falls into but Council decided to be more specific with the illnessess following a letter from my daughter's consultant)

Now there is going to be a new development of 500+ houses starting in March this year. It has been confirmed that we would be allocated one of these homes as we fit the criteria and are near the top of the list.

I decided to ask what the biggest house was in the deveopment after we were told we are now overcrowded (had to measure rooms & list ages & sexes of children etc). We have been assessed as needing 5-6 bedrooms Huh The biggest house being built is 4 bedrooms so last Friday I was emailed by the Allocations officer to tell me that the powers to be would not make 1 of the unbuilt houses (remember that we were going to be allocated as we fit the criteria) as the plans have been submitted and it would cost too much money to amend them Undecided

I am gutted, this was our one chance of a secure family home and the chance to get much needed equipment to assist with our daughter.

I have contacted Shelter - cannot help as it is an overcrowding issue causing the problem. They advised to contact a Disability Rights group in my area. There are none so I have contacted Disability Rights Commission. They have said the same thing but will get back to me if they can help. I have also rang Contact A Family in the vain hope they could help or know of someone who has experienced anything similar, they will get back to me too.

I have prevously contacted my MP who could only offer me a lecture on the financial burden I am causing by having a large family AngryAngryAngryAngry I have also requested a meeting with Housing, OT and Social Worker but this has been refused as Housing say there is nothing to discuss. They have no available housing stock.

I have support letters from everyone, Social Worker, Daughter's Consultant and my GP as my back is wrecked. My only available treatment now is Morphine.

So my next options are to write a long, factual, heartfelt letter to both the Local Council and also to John Healey the Housing Minister.

Is there anyone on here who has experienced anything similar or know of anyone?

Thanks for reading and apologies for the long post.

• Administrators
Couple of questions:

1)What council are you under?

2)What MP did you contact?

3)How many children do you have and what ages are they and what genders?

4)To confirm the council made an offer and withdrew this?

5)What condition does your child have if you dont mind me asking?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
(01-12-2010, 11:34 PM)Daniel Wrote: Couple of questions:

1)What council are you under? - I have sent you a message about this - I hope that is ok.

2)What MP did you contact? - I have sent you a message about this - I hope that is ok.

3)How many children do you have and what ages are they and what genders? - We have 7 children aged 15 (F), 12 (M), 10 (M), 8 (F), 6 (M), 4 (F), 1 1/2 (F)

4)To confirm the council made an offer and withdrew this? - No the Housing Association confirmed we would be allocated 1 of the properties from the new development but because we are now classed as overcrowded we are not now eligible for it.

5)What condition does your child have if you dont mind me asking? - There is no name for what se has. She contracted Herpes Simplex Enchephalitis at the age of 3 months which was the cause of her disabilities. She has drug resistant Epilepsy, Gastrostomy, Colostomy, Incontinent, Scoliosis, Autism, Severe Developmental Delay. Also her Temporal Lobes are virtually non existant.

• Administrators
(01-13-2010, 12:37 AM)keano Wrote:

1)What council are you under? - I have sent you a message about this - I hope that is ok.

2)What MP did you contact? - I have sent you a message about this - I hope that is ok.

3)How many children do you have and what ages are they and what genders? - We have 7 children aged 15 (F), 12 (M), 10 (M), 8 (F), 6 (M), 4 (F), 1 1/2 (F)

4)To confirm the council made an offer and withdrew this? - No the Housing Association confirmed we would be allocated 1 of the properties from the new development but because we are now classed as overcrowded we are not now eligible for it.

5)What condition does your child have if you dont mind me asking? - There is no name for what se has. She contracted Herpes Simplex Enchephalitis at the age of 3 months which was the cause of her disabilities. She has drug resistant Epilepsy, Gastrostomy, Colostomy, Incontinent, Scoliosis, Autism, Severe Developmental Delay. Also her Temporal Lobes are virtually non existant.
So firstly a 5 bed is a minimum guideline for housing.
Nice to see a Labour MP behind the comments although i wont reveal which one.
Right so you were right it is a very complicated matter because of the size of the house required.
Many councils dont have stock to suit this requirement but it does not mean they dont have to help you.

Many councils have previously knocked two houses together and they should consider this.
I think you have done the right thing by writing to the housing minister although i expect them to be as useful as a chocolate teapot.
Have you also contacted your local press about the comments made by the MP?
I would consider this as it would put pressure on him to assist you further and with an election around the corner you could be surprised at the help offered.

What sort of adaptions to the property would you require long term?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
(01-13-2010, 09:08 AM)Daniel Wrote:
(01-13-2010, 12:37 AM)keano Wrote:

So firstly a 5 bed is a minimum guideline for housing.
Nice to see a Labour MP behind the comments although i wont reveal which one.
Right so you were right it is a very complicated matter because of the size of the house required.
Many councils dont have stock to suit this requirement but it does not mean they dont have to help you.

Many councils have previously knocked two houses together and they should consider this.
I think you have done the right thing by writing to the housing minister although i expect them to be as useful as a chocolate teapot.
Have you also contacted your local press about the comments made by the MP?
I would consider this as it would put pressure on him to assist you further and with an election around the corner you could be surprised at the help offered.

What sort of adaptions to the property would you require long term?

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the reply. No I have not thought about going to the local press. I guess I would not do it for the fear of the backlash to be honest Blush

My OT's report states that our daughter need's a through floor lift, ceiling hoist & tracking for transfer from bedroom to bathroom, and all the normal widened doorways etc.

Have you come across anyone even remotley similar to me?