• VIP
Hi guys

Yesterday we took Thomas to the ophthalmologist and he has got to wear glasses now! We went down to our local opticians where me and his Dad get our specs (so it is a familiar place). He freaked out every time we tried to put glasses on him, he won't even wear sunglasses normally. I cannot possibly imagine how we are ever going to get him to wear glasses!!

He showed a slight interest in some Mr men ones and seemed more tolerant of them.. he picked them up and held them, but same story when we put them on him... screaming take it off and trying to get them off.

Anyone else got a little one with ASD and had similar experience?
Keely x

• VIP
Hi there, my little boy doesn't have ASD but he does need glasses. He was only 2 at the time, he's 3 now and although he wasn't too bad trying them on in the shop (we found donald duck ones) for weeks I had to bribe him with sweets or a favourite toy to get him to put them on and if anyone even mentioned them he would take them off strait away. He wore them for about an hour or two a day for ages until he just got used to them as part of his routine. I would say he had to wear them for nursery etc

The nursery also had lots of pairs of frames for everyone to wear so he wouldn't feel different which I thought was a nice idea.

I'm sure you'll find a way to get it into his routine somewhere hopefully he will start to put them on. One thing I tried not to do was put too much pressure on him and I let him put them in and out of the case and clean them and things so he knew they were his and got used to handling them.

hope he gets used to them soon anyway

• VIP
Ah thanks, that sounds promising. Hopefully once he gets used to them it will become part of his routine. I think it is going to take a very long time though!! I'm just about to call specsavers now and see if they are in yet!! So I may be back on later with stories of how he has freaked out and beaten me up lol
Keely x

• VIP
I would really be looking for advice on this too my five year old son has autism and has to wear glasses full time as of a few months ago and it will not happen for love no money he has now snapped 5 pairs and I do not know what to do to make him wear them!!
Will I EVER stop having to fight for my son to have what he NEEDS!? Huh

• VIP
make sure you keep hold of the receipt from the hospital prescription you'll need it for all your repairs or new pairs. My friend's little boy has CP and epilepsy amongst other things and does have behavioural problems too and she has been back to specsavers around 20 times within the last couple of years for repairs or new pairs, he flings them and steps on them and everything