• Registered
Huh Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help .....
I have 11 year old twins, my daughter has cerebral palsy, she cannot walk and only takes small steps doing transfers or using parrallel bars and is a wheelchair user.
My current accommodation is a three bedroomed house with a level access shower upstairs and has a stairlift.
Due to personal circumstances and a more suitable property being needed I have been on the housing list for over a year. I am wanting to move to an area where I have family that give me support as I don't have that where I currently live and I have also enrolled my children into the comprehensive school that their cousins go to.
I am wanting to find a house that can be a long term home for my family.
I realise that waiting for an adapted property to become available could take a while as there is only a small amount in the area I want so I have also been looking for properties that could be adapted. I want to be near family and the school which they start in september, I have found a property with a seperate dining room which could be a bedroom and the property has a utility that could be converted into a wet room but the council is not a housing association and I was told that they cannot get the disabled facilities grant and that they have their own budget so they could not do major works like convert the utility as this would be costly.
I was wondering if anyone could help with any info or know of any grants that could be obtained.

Thanks
Mandy

• VIP
I don't know about the housing association differences, but I will say be very careful going down the route of your own property. We did this - there was a dining room and a downstairs toilet, we asked to be considered for the property and if it could be checked for suitability of adaptations.
We were offered the property after promising it was suitable, a year later were told that it couldn't be adapted, that it had not been assessed and that we'd have to move again!
I got a local councillor involved who fought on our behalf and got them to agree to adapting it. However it took ages for this, and for them to agree to the adaptations we needed, as opposed to what they wanted to do.
Finally, 3 years after moving here, they are finally building an extension for us. Its been a long hard road with so much battling for what we need along the way, and uncertainty about whether we'd have to uproot the children again.
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• Registered
Thank you for replying
I visited the council property today with my daughters occupational therapist and an o.t from the council, they said that the work could be done but would depend on if planning permission could be given, I am visiting the property again this week. I do understand that work could not be done untill I had lived in the property for a year. it is a lovely house in a nice area with a big garden for the children, near to the comp and family so would be ideal, it is just the cost of the work that is the problem ...

• Registered
I did not get to visit the property again as I got a phonecall saying that it was going to be too much work

• VIP
That is very annoying, did they have anything else in the area that was suitable?
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart