• Registered
Hi, My partner has a lovely son who is 7 and has severe CP. She is pregnant (9weeks) and I am concerned with the amount of carrying she has to do. She has miscarried before (9 years ago) We have hoists upstairs, and lots of equipment for him, but there are just times you need to carry him, transfer him into his car seat, pick him up so change him on the floor etc… I do all the lifting etc when I am home, but in the working week I am out of the house from 7am to pretty much 7pm. She has started getting cramps and light spot bleeding, I have asked her to take it easy, and she is, as much as she can, but there are unavoidable situations where he still has to be lifted, into the car, out of the car, onto the floor to be changed, up into his indoor wheelchair etc. She says she has to care for her son, and I would not take that away ever, but I am concerned she is still doing too much. (she has just spent the last 3 hours ironing…) What do other people do/ would other people do in this situation. Help from friends/family is available from time to time, and that does help, but it is not “on tap”

Hi there,

I can understand your concern, I was in a similar situation nearly 3 years ago when I was pregnant with my 3rd child and my youngest daughter was 8. She has physical disabilities similar to CP and uses a wheelchair, but can crawl and pull her self up so luckily, I mostly only had to lift her wheelchair in and out of the car and bathing was very hard. She can weightbear, so getting her in and out of the car only needed a little support luckily.

Could you contact the childs therapists and ask advice on equipment to make things easier? I'm sure they would want to help... also would it be possible to look at different ways to do things to lessen the lifting such as changing him on a bed so not having to get him up off the floor? There might be some slide boards to help getting in and out of the car so you kind of slide him across rather than lift.

I would definately ring the therapists they will know the best equipment that can help, and if needs be change her usual routine to get dressed/ changed etc upstairs where the hoisting is? The therapists might be able to provide you with a portable hoist for use downstairs, we used one after my daughter had an operation last year and we couldnt get her upstairs for 9 months!!

It is so tricky, I had to limit trips in the car as although I was able to do it, it was hard work so I only did what definately needed to be done. Also you need to sort this now as it only gets harder with a bump!!

Hope I've helped a little as I feel like I've just rambled on lol Good Luck Smile
Proud mum of 3...... Dani,13, amazing child....Sofie,11, my smiler, physically disabled, 3 strokes aged 2, speech issues, learning difficulties, epilepsy.... and Luke,2, diagnosed with autism January 2011, non-verbal cheeky chappy.

• Registered
Hi, Thanks for your advise. When I say changing, I am referring to his nappy changes. I bring him downstairs in the morning before I goto work, we do have a lift, but I am fine to carry him, where my partner gets him changed and dressed for school, but she still needs to carry him to the car for school, and get him out at school, into his wheelchair. With his type of CP he spasm’s a lot so carrying him can be awkward a lot of the time. We also have a hoist in the car for the wheelchair which helps. We do have a portable hoist for downstairs, but it is very difficult to use, as you have to get the sling out once he is in his chair, that is more of a struggle than simply lifting him sometimes. I am going to ask to work from home more (I do every Wednesday at the moment so the option to is there) I am just getting concerned and ask my partner to take it easy, but am told she is (she is for her normal routine but I feel she is still doing a lot) now these cramps have started with light bleeding. I hope I am worrying about nothing, but cant stop worrying…

• VIP
Hi it will get harder on her but it wont do her or the baby any harm . If she is spotting she would be best to go to her doctor and get an early scan done to make sure everything is ok , most people do spot though i know i did with both my children , it can be something very simple and you said she is getting cramps which can also be normal , With a 2nd pregnancy . Sounds like she should be taking it easy as i'm sure she is very tired at this stage , but thats us woman for you , we think we need to do everything and more . Tell her to get looked at but it wouldnt be anything to do with lifting her child . good luck
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

Hi again,

I did realise that you meant nappy changes, I was just trying to think of where you had hoists as its very difficult to get a heavy child off the floor when they cant help you in anyway.

I understand why you are worrying about the spotting, I didnt spot with any of my pregnancies but I do know people who did and nothing terrible happened.

As for carrying him to the car...why does she not hoist him into the wheelchair, push him to the car, lift him into car ( much easier and shorter lift) then the sling can be removed.... and on getting out, put sling in wheelchair, lift him into chair, push into house, hoist out of chair if needed. I understand what you mean about the portable hoist being more trouble sometimes than actually just lifting but it would make things easier pregnancy wise for now maybe.

I do hope it all works out ok, I agree about the heavy lifting but try to also remember that she is only pregnant and ironing never hurt anybody lol Us mums just like to get things done and I'm sure she feels like she is taking things easier Smile
Proud mum of 3...... Dani,13, amazing child....Sofie,11, my smiler, physically disabled, 3 strokes aged 2, speech issues, learning difficulties, epilepsy.... and Luke,2, diagnosed with autism January 2011, non-verbal cheeky chappy.