• Administrators
Yes applying for family fund is not dependent on a set diagnosis but they do have there own criteria Smile
We have a member of staff from family fund who come on and answer these questions so hopefully someone from Family fund will provide more detail for you Smile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
(04-09-2011, 10:04 PM)Rockmaiden Wrote: Hi everyone
I'm a new member, joined after a google search brought up this site.
I have been trying to research for more information about the family fund grant. I am hoping they can help provide some sensory equipment for my (nearly) 7 year old son. We may have a problem however as he not been formally diagnosed.
Cahms have said he suffers from co-morbid ADHD and Autism, which we pretty much knew anyway but we are waiting for the 'formal' diagnosis as of yet. He has been formally diagnosed with global development delay but this alone does not warrant the need for sensory equipment.
Do family find require a formal diagnosis?
It is very hard to get 'official' ASD labels in this area as they don't like to formally diagnose as in the words of his Paed 'there is no benefit for the child'. Am I on to a losing cause here or should I push for a diagnosis and then apply?
Has anyone had a grant awarded without a formal diagnosis?
Thanks!

Hi Rockmaiden

What Daniel has advised is correct - you do not need to have a diganosis to appliy to Family Fund as we have our own criteria. There is plenty of room on our new application form to describe your child's condition and how it affects him and your family.

Best wishes,
Family Fund

• Registered
My grandson fit the criteria and more but my daughter was still turned down, despite ample letters of support (showing medical conditions) from professionals.
Her appeal was also turned down.
I'd love to know who makes the decisions and if they really appriciate what its like coping with a young child who has several disabilities.

• VIP
(07-25-2011, 12:11 PM)old dragon Wrote: My grandson fit the criteria and more but my daughter was still turned down, despite ample letters of support (showing medical conditions) from professionals.
Her appeal was also turned down.
I'd love to know who makes the decisions and if they really appriciate what its like coping with a young child who has several disabilities.

Hi

We are sorry if you think our decision was wrong. The child's eligibility decisions are made by our experienced team who all have excellent knowledge and experience of working with disabilities. Some have disabled children themselves, and they have all worked with people with disabilities so are very aware of the impact on family life.

If your daughter feels that she wants to further appeal our decision, she can do so in writing, including any additional information or reports that she wants us to consider. This must be done within 28 days of the last decision being made.

Best wishes,
Family Fund