• Registered
Hi there, first time so little nervous Blush
My son is 19 months old and dosent stand or walk or say many words, communication has been tough we never know what he wants and he gets so angery and upset its been a up and down since he was 4 months. As a parent i think you know when something isnt right about your child and i always knew and my family, but it always just stays in the back of your mind. You try and think maybe so and so's right he might just be a late bloomer or when they ay ow boys there lazy. But our local GP noticed a few things and sent us for an examination at queens mary hospital anyway, there it was decided something wasnt right with his brain and behaviour.
I'm fustrated that hes too young to diagnose, i'm scared for his future but ive been taking it well hes still my lil boy and hes so funny has very cheeky personality! I'm awaiting to here back from all the local authority's about the care he will be provided and today got some leaflets about the process and the type of children he'll be ingaging with. Then today i've burst and feeling very low and in disspear..its stupid i keep telling myself that he's going to be fine live a great life just will need extra help and be taught differently,sweep it under the carpet like my partner has been saying. I have no one to talk to soon as i mention it to my mum its tears so i dont to save her upset, and my partner is very shut off about everything..wanted to talk to some mums that are going through the same thing?! and why do feel so upset and guilty??

• Registered
Hello
I have the same situation I don't talk to my family about how I'm feeling as I don't want to upset them, instead I get upset when I'm on my own. My daughter is 2 and had global development delay. She is unable to talk, crawl or walk. She is such a lovely and happy girl. We've been to gosh and various other hospitals and shed had various tests done and still unable to get a diagnosis. She has physio weekly and goes to restbite for a few hours a week. I also attend a special needs class once a week where I have met other parents with special needs children. I am here if you would like somebody to talk too.
Holly .

• Established member
(04-01-2011, 08:39 PM)Zara88 Wrote: Hi there, first time so little nervous Blush
My son is 19 months old and dosent stand or walk or say many words, communication has been tough we never know what he wants and he gets so angery and upset its been a up and down since he was 4 months. As a parent i think you know when something isnt right about your child and i always knew and my family, but it always just stays in the back of your mind. You try and think maybe so and so's right he might just be a late bloomer or when they ay ow boys there lazy. But our local GP noticed a few things and sent us for an examination at queens mary hospital anyway, there it was decided something wasnt right with his brain and behaviour.
I'm fustrated that hes too young to diagnose, i'm scared for his future but ive been taking it well hes still my lil boy and hes so funny has very cheeky personality! I'm awaiting to here back from all the local authority's about the care he will be provided and today got some leaflets about the process and the type of children he'll be ingaging with. Then today i've burst and feeling very low and in disspear..its stupid i keep telling myself that he's going to be fine live a great life just will need extra help and be taught differently,sweep it under the carpet like my partner has been saying. I have no one to talk to soon as i mention it to my mum its tears so i dont to save her upset, and my partner is very shut off about everything..wanted to talk to some mums that are going through the same thing?! and why do feel so upset and guilty??

Hi
I have 10 year daughter with a neuron migration defect. She uses a communication aid and electric wheelchair so things do get better honest. I would suggest you contact your local sure start centre see if they have any special needs groups or if they know any. You need to have contact with other parents/carers their experience will help you. If there is a special school in your area contact them they may run groups for young toddlers. I may benefit from makaton signing to aid communication or a simple communication device if you have a social worker or anyother professional involved seek advice. Dad always find it hard to express themselves they dont want to break down in front of you thinking they have to be strong not realising that you need to see his feelings. Try to explain that you have to honest with each other and it is alright for him to show he is afraid. And there are things he can do like take his son swimming etc this may help him bond with his son.Hope this helps Smile

• VIP
Hi Zara and welcome to the site . Everyone has or is going through what your feeling and you will have your good days and bad days . My son was about 5/6 months when i knew something wasnt right but even looking back now i see other things that werent right . Finally my old health visitor listen to me ( was so glad felt like i was going mad ) and sent me to a child development clinic when he was 9 months old . He is near 3 years old and still not sure what is wrong with him . He cant talk and may never be able to , he has low muscle tone , double jointed from head to toe , sensory issues , severe learning problems , he has learnt to crawl which they told me he never would and has also started to pull himself up on the sofa to stand but still cant stand on his own . They know his brain doesnt work right but cant find out what the problem is ,so same as they will do with your child is watch them to see how well they come on . Have they done any genetic testing on your son yet ? Talked or did an MRI scan ? Look into a sure start near you , they are great or home start . I'm a single parent , my son's dad couldnt take my son having problems . I also have a 14 year old daughter so it can be hard when you need to talk and find someone who will listen . Thats why this site is great , and anything you need to ask or know , ask away . Hope you find here helpful to you xxx
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

• Registered
(04-01-2011, 08:39 PM)Zara88 Wrote: Hi there, first time so little nervous Blush