• Registered
Hello. I'm new to the forum and couldn't see a thread on this subject already. Apologies if I'm repeating a previous question.

I'm preparing to replace my motability car in a few months. My son needs a wheelchair accessible vehicle and our Fiat Doblo has served us well for most trips, but there have been more and more instances where I've had to do 2 or more trips to collect/ drop off his extra equipment at school. Also, I'd love to take his indoor Leckey chair with us at weekends when he goes to stay with his Grandparents as his posture is poor during his stay there. He's very tall for his age and his equipment is getting big now.

His standing frame and advancement (physio) chair come home for most school holidays. The stander only just fit in the Doblo by letting the wheels at one end sit in the foot well.

Holidays are very difficult to orchestrate and the chance of having a friend/family member come with us for help are nil as the car is too full with Leon's things.

I'm wanting to know if any of you have experience of applying for grants towards the advance payment on motability vehicles. I just can't get £5000+ together at all, but that seems to be how much I'd be needing.

Do you think that my requests are likely to be accepted, or am I being unrealistic that I should get a large WAV, when there are just the two of us?

Any suggestions or opinions will be appreciated.

• Registered
Hi, we were in a similar situation and a parent at our sons school told me about motability grants. You phone motability and they can put you through. They send out forms which ask for income and savings then make a decision about how much grant they will give and which vehicle may suit your needs. They have been great with us but you need to think about whether you would need privacy glass, ramps, sliding doors, heating etc. They unfortunatly dont ask these questions but if you tell them you need the things they give payment towards them. If you would like any more info just message me x

• Registered
(03-31-2011, 02:30 PM)Lukes Mummy Wrote: Hi, we were in a similar situation and a parent at our sons school told me about motability grants. You phone motability and they can put you through. They send out forms which ask for income and savings then make a decision about how much grant they will give and which vehicle may suit your needs. They have been great with us but you need to think about whether you would need privacy glass, ramps, sliding doors, heating etc. They unfortunatly dont ask these questions but if you tell them you need the things they give payment towards them. If you would like any more info just message me x

Thanks for that. I chatted with a rep from a conversion company today and he also suggested privacy glass. It would be fantastic to have the space to change him in the car and transfer him back into his wheelchair whilst inside. Lack of changing facilities really puts you off going on full days out.

I've just fallen in love with the Peugeot Expert Montana (long wheel base version) from GM Coachwork. It ticks all the right boxes but I've no idea what the advance payment is yet. I'm expecting a ring back from them tomorrow about that.

Must measure if I've enough space to park it first, I suppose, haha.

Hi,

We had to send our last mobility car back after a year to get a WAV as my daughter had become unable to be transferred in and out of the car. We were shocked at the cost of the advance payments and were quite limited in our choice of vehicles as we have 2 other children to transport too.

Out of the vehicles suitable to us, I fell in love with a kia sedona where the wheelchair user sits in the middle of the back seats so is still integrated into the family... and leaves loads of room behind for other stuff, we always struggled before once her wheelchair was in the boot you couldnt take anything else! I love it and it has made life so much easier Smile

The cost of our advance payment was £3000 and we did consider applying for the motability grant to help but was told that they tell you what car you can have that will suit your needs, so basically they will go for the cheapest advance that would be suitable....which in my case wasnt the car I wanted but a big van thing that I would be too scared to drive lol !! So the lovely hubby took out a loan so I could get the car I wanted Smile

I would phone Motability and check how the grant works but that is what I was told last year...

Good Luck xxx
Proud mum of 3...... Dani,13, amazing child....Sofie,11, my smiler, physically disabled, 3 strokes aged 2, speech issues, learning difficulties, epilepsy.... and Luke,2, diagnosed with autism January 2011, non-verbal cheeky chappy.

• Registered
Thought I'd pop back and give you all an update.

When I initially contacted Motability Grants I was given what turned out to be the wrong information. I was told to choose a car that suited my needs, have a test drive and check everything fits in etc and then get back to them with my application.
Well, I did this, phoned back saying "Hey, I've found the perfect car..." and was told that I shouldn't have done it that way. Somebody in the office probably got a grilling over that.
Anyway, the lady that dealt with me said that she would have probably suggested the exact same model anyway and went ahead with processing us. The only delay was from the car rep, who didn't send off his demo report as quickly as I'd have liked.

Within one week we had a full grant approved, 100%, nothing for me to pay at all. I was over the moon. :-D It came to almost £7000 when adding in limo tint windows, air con in the back and a 12v power supply. They also allowed seats for grandparents and our carer, which really surprised me. I thought, as I had no other children or a live-in partner, that they'd only allow the essential seating, but no. I've got a bench seat at the front and two rear seats, space for two wheelchairs, standing frames, tricycles etc. (Not all at once, that'd just be daft).

I suspect that being on Income Support was the main factor in getting a full grant. She asked if I was receiving a 'passport benefit'. That must be one.

I've had to wait for an extra month for the DLA award to come through though. I should have submitted that claim much sooner than I did. It has come through today though so I'll be putting my order in today.

Oh, also, I haggled with the dealer over optional extras. I wanted the built in blue tooth and sat nav system and rear parking sensors. I got the sat nav for half price and I can pay for the sensors later as they fit them at the adaptation garage. They're fitting them cheaper than the Peugeot factory price too.

So, if you're doubting that you could get the financial help for the car that you need, don't hesitate. You might end up as happy as we are.