• Registered
hi everyone,
i`m in a bit of a fix at the moment, my lovely son aeryn has sensory processing disorder, this affects his tactile, auditory, vestibular and proprioceptive senses.
he is in contact with an o/t and recieves support from her once a week in school and daily 1to1 support from an ina,
he is given lots of support at home, and is kept in a regular routine, but despite all myself ,the school and the o/t are doing, he has started to have major meltdowns, violently attacking other children in his class and frequently throwing objects at home and school during these meltdowns.
he is only 7 but i`m at my wits end, he`s been suspended from school and i`ve been left with bruises at times from him lashing out at me.
i`ve asked to be refferred to an anger management counseller by the school as they are saying if it carries on he will be expelled.
i really dont know what else to do or who else to talk to, although i`m not happy with the school, i dont want to move him somewhere else and have to start over again with educating his teachers about his condition or uproot him from his friends and risk making him worse, and there are no special needs schools in this area that will take him because although he is considered to be on the autistic spectrum he is in their words not severe enough.
please please can some body give some advice as to how to calm down these meltdowns.

thanks, joConfused

• Registered
Hi Jo

I'm certainly no expert, but my son Jacob who is 5 has Autism and has been known in the past to have major melt downs (even to the point when 2 policemen stopped their car in the street when I was trying to get Jacob to walk home and he refused and lay on the path, luckily for me the police were fab and took us home in their car!!).

I used to consider myself as a battered mum. I was Jacobs punch bag for about 18months and would always have cuts, bruises, bites on my eyelids and ears, even boobs! It all came to a head one day when he was attacking me again in his usual fit of rage, he was about 3 and a half at the time but a very strong and heavy little boy. Something inside me just snapped and I decided enough was enough. I became the strong one and stood up and shouted "no". Myself and my husband had been told since Jacobs diagnosis at 2 that we always had to think "Autism first" basically meaning let him walk all over you and don't discipline your child. Since that day I have looked at Jacob differently. I now treat him as I would have treated him without the Autism (when it comes to being kicked and punched). Jacob needs boundaries and I truly believe that now he has boundaries and knows it is not acceptible for ANY child to be violent his behaviour is much less volotile.
I have no idea how you are with Aeryn and if you are firm with him or not, but if his melt downs are getting to the point where life is just getting worse instead of better, I would suggest you try being tougher on him or maybe there is something at school or at home that is winding him up, a noise that we can't hear maybe or even a new scent on his clothes if you've changed fabric conditioner. Life is so hard being a parent of a child with such additional needs, but please don't give up what you're doing, we can only do our best and Aeryn is lucky to have such a lovely mum xx Good luck babe xx

(03-31-2011, 12:25 PM)aeryn`smummy Wrote: hi everyone,
i`m in a bit of a fix at the moment, my lovely son aeryn has sensory processing disorder, this affects his tactile, auditory, vestibular and proprioceptive senses.
he is in contact with an o/t and recieves support from her once a week in school and daily 1to1 support from an ina,
he is given lots of support at home, and is kept in a regular routine, but despite all myself ,the school and the o/t are doing, he has started to have major meltdowns, violently attacking other children in his class and frequently throwing objects at home and school during these meltdowns.
he is only 7 but i`m at my wits end, he`s been suspended from school and i`ve been left with bruises at times from him lashing out at me.
i`ve asked to be refferred to an anger management counseller by the school as they are saying if it carries on he will be expelled.
i really dont know what else to do or who else to talk to, although i`m not happy with the school, i dont want to move him somewhere else and have to start over again with educating his teachers about his condition or uproot him from his friends and risk making him worse, and there are no special needs schools in this area that will take him because although he is considered to be on the autistic spectrum he is in their words not severe enough.
please please can some body give some advice as to how to calm down these meltdowns.

thanks, joConfused

• VIP
Hi sorry this is a fast reply , my son is coming 3 and they know he has sensory issues , is your son only doing this at school or is it at home as well ? Yes stay strong and be very firm . My son is ok at school and with other children but at home he would have melt downs and outside when it gets very busy . I put him in the hall with nothing about for him to touch and straight away he calm's down . Depending on which way the sensory issues are affecting your son it could be a sensory over load he is having . If something like this helps in the home you could try talk to the school about somewhere that he could go for few mins to calm himself xx
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012