• Established member
Hiya all, just thought I'd ask on here if anyone has any advice for me.
DS is 6 and has a diagnosis of Aspergers also mentioned on the letter we got from the consultant was hypermobility.
We get the high rate care and low mobility.
Recently we have had A LOT more problems than normal when out in the car etc so I was advised to ask for a blue badge, went to my local council office and she basically said no way no chance as soon as I said aspergers/ASD...
I wasnt happy with this so she has given me the assessment direct managers address to write to so I can explain his circumstances to them.

Do I stand a chance is it even worth it? Any tips?

Thanks Smile
Mummy to Daniel Heart born 2004 with Aspergers (and possibly Dsypraxia but they dont want to add too many labels to him....)
And Hannah born feb 2010Heart

• VIP
(03-30-2011, 08:51 PM)missisbeki Wrote: Hiya all, just thought I'd ask on here if anyone has any advice for me.
DS is 6 and has a diagnosis of Aspergers also mentioned on the letter we got from the consultant was hypermobility.
We get the high rate care and low mobility.
Recently we have had A LOT more problems than normal when out in the car etc so I was advised to ask for a blue badge, went to my local council office and she basically said no way no chance as soon as I said aspergers/ASD...
I wasnt happy with this so she has given me the assessment direct managers address to write to so I can explain his circumstances to them.

Do I stand a chance is it even worth it? Any tips?

Thanks Smile

no you dont stand a chance (sorry :-(
you got to be on high mobility to get the blue badge
if they let you get it. it would be fair on the other people that cant get it
they dont let exceptions you really have to be on high mobility
my daughter has central hypotonia and we cant get it

what we do is use the mother and baby ones
or we go up to main entrance and drop me off with daugter
Heart mum of 2 Heart

• Established member
Thank you for your reply, round here it seems to be one rule for one and another for someone else.
My friend has 2 ASD boys one with lower mobility and he got it straight away yet they wouldnt even talk to me.
And without sounding rude its not always as easy as pulling up at an entrance which can be dangerous in itself if he runs out etc, or a baby and toddler space (which are impossible to get into at local tesco/shops), especially if I have my daughter with me, or if hes mid meltdown and has to be physically restrained and carried into a car etc.
He doesnt have awareness of danger and pretty much everywhere we go he ends up being restrained as so many things set him off, he doesnt deal with loud noises they cause meltdowns...I could go on but I wont
Mummy to Daniel Heart born 2004 with Aspergers (and possibly Dsypraxia but they dont want to add too many labels to him....)
And Hannah born feb 2010Heart

• VIP
It is worth appealing to the council you don't know until you try you may or may not get it but you may as well ask. As you don't get high mobility DLA they will want to examine him and talk to his doctors etc so if they back up your story then you may well get one I know people that have got them if they have low mobility DLA but they have SERIOUS problems and the council are very tight with it xx
Will I EVER stop having to fight for my son to have what he NEEDS!? Huh

Hi,

As a mum of a daughter who has a blue badge who is in a wheelchair and a mum of a son who is 2 and has ASD, I'm not really sure where I stand on this.... I struggle alot to find a space for my daughter and I cant park in any other space and it does annoy me when I see people who have badges displayed in their car but are walking perfectly calm and fine to and from the shops....

But then I think in the future maybe I will have a similar struggle as you with my son, at the moment I can park in toddler bays and if hes in a melt down I can carry him, even if I get kicked etc

If you really feel it would make a difference then apply, you do get it with no problems with higher rate mobilty but if I remember rightly, you give them doctors details etc if you dont...who advised you to get the badge? If they are someone who works with your son they could support your claim....

In the meantime try and do what you can to help your son cope better with going to places, go at quiet times, then you are more likely to get a child space and theres less people and noise if they are things that upset him, would he tolerate a wrist strap so he doesnt run off? and then if hes good he wouldnt have to wear it next time? Rewards might work with a 6 year old..

It can seem like one rule for some people etc but it can just depend on who does your claim or who you talk to etc

Good Luck x
Proud mum of 3...... Dani,13, amazing child....Sofie,11, my smiler, physically disabled, 3 strokes aged 2, speech issues, learning difficulties, epilepsy.... and Luke,2, diagnosed with autism January 2011, non-verbal cheeky chappy.