• Registered
[

We adopted two children five years ago (then 2yr&3yrs) the eldest now 8 has congenital heart disease and global delay the youngest now 7 has attatchment issues, global delay and sensory issues. all of with the younger one we knew nothing about as he was only 13months old when taken into care we thought (stupidly) there would be no issues. It is the best thing we have ever done and love every minute even the tough times, so much so that we are thinking of adding to our family. love Chrissy x

quote='Kat' pid='28307' dateline='1301385261']
(03-28-2011, 10:33 AM)Nits Wrote: Yes we are in the same situation. We do not think we will be able to manage having another baby as my son needs us to engage him full time. He too loves school and is now slowly interacting with other Children in park as well. He will be 4 in july. Which adoption agency did u contact. Is it a very long winded and expensive process. Also I'm not sure if it's going to be very easy for us to find a child because for our ethnicity as most of the websites I checked need the parents to be the same cultural background as the child.

I actually went on our council website and got in touch with their Adoption Service. They said it may take about a year, depends on how long will it take to do the backround searches and so on. But quite often if you've got a child with special needs social services already know about you a bit. They need to interview few people who know you well, also your childs school. You need to go to some sort of adoption 'course' which is I think week or two long and when after this you're still sure you want to adopt then they'll start with looking into your backroung and so on. After they've done the backround searches, interviews and accept you as a suitable family to adopt it may take weeks or months to find you a suitable child. When you say you think it's difficult to find you a child because of your ethnicity.. I'm sure they're not too stubborn - most important should be the fact that you can provide a child a loving family.. Good luck Smile x
[/quote]