• Registered
I am a carer for a child with learning difficulties. He is 10 and does not have a wide range of vocabulary so if he can't communicate what he wants verbally, he will sign or use actions, such as taking my hand and directing me or if he is tired he will suggest to me that he wants carrying. The issues I am having at the moment are getting him home after a session with him. My job is to take him out to give him and his family a break from each other, so I often take him swimming or to the park since this is what he enjoys. He really enjoys this but every time it it time to go home, he lies down on the ground and kicks his shoes off. Baring in mind he is a 10 year old, he is not easy to lift and he wriggles around and rolls over to stop me getting him back up again. My main concern here is that he hurts himself or rolls into the road (he has no road awareness at all and needs to hold hands when he is walking along streets). I have tried to distract him with snacks, singing songs, etc and nothing seems to work. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this?

• VIP
(03-27-2011, 07:42 PM)golden_glow90 Wrote: I am a carer for a child with learning difficulties. He is 10 and does not have a wide range of vocabulary so if he can't communicate what he wants verbally, he will sign or use actions, such as taking my hand and directing me or if he is tired he will suggest to me that he wants carrying. The issues I am having at the moment are getting him home after a session with him. My job is to take him out to give him and his family a break from each other, so I often take him swimming or to the park since this is what he enjoys. He really enjoys this but every time it it time to go home, he lies down on the ground and kicks his shoes off. Baring in mind he is a 10 year old, he is not easy to lift and he wriggles around and rolls over to stop me getting him back up again. My main concern here is that he hurts himself or rolls into the road (he has no road awareness at all and needs to hold hands when he is walking along streets). I have tried to distract him with snacks, singing songs, etc and nothing seems to work. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this?

my daughter used to do this
she used to throw herself on floor and just lay there
when it was time to pick her up she used to bend her legs and she used to go back on the floor (too heavy )
had no end of back problems
also she trys to run on to the road
i think my daughter did this for attention
what i did i just left her on the floor untill she decided to get up and give her no attention (no eye contact no talking to her) and made sure that she couldnt get near the roads
Heart mum of 2 Heart

• Moderators
hi
does he understand a diary? perhaps he is not wanting to go home because he doesnt know when he is next going out? we have a whiteboard and a calendar with matt so he knows well in advance when he is next going to respite or a college trip or even a day trip with us which is most weeks but he still needs it written down as he sees this as if its written down he will get to go (think having his respite cancelled regularly for nearly a year started this) if you get a small diary and perhaps print some pictures out of a swimming pool or a park if he cant read well to put next to the days you are taking him out it might persuade him that just because you are taking him home doesnt mean he wont go out again and you can talk about what you are doing next visit. other than that or asking the parents if they could meet you rather than you taking the lad home i am afraid i am stuck for ideas Angel
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.