• VIP
Hi there
Any ideas on a grant for a new washer - we have already used family fund. But now our 1 year old washer is soundind deceidedly unhealthy after doing several loads everyday and i can't manage without one!
Thanks
Rachel

• Administrators
(03-18-2011, 07:49 PM)annies mummy Wrote: Hi there
Any ideas on a grant for a new washer - we have already used family fund. But now our 1 year old washer is soundind deceidedly unhealthy after doing several loads everyday and i can't manage without one!
Thanks
Rachel
It sounds like it maybe the drum has dropped or the belt has come a little loose.
The seller may be helpful from day one and help you or maybe a little hessitant to help and then you do have legal rights.
Call them firstly and ask them to help and if not do the following.

My advice is do not let anyone try to fix it as this could void any warranty.

Do remember though on things like this although your warranty is 12 months

The warranty is given by the manufacturer to the person who bought the item, but you have no legal relationship with the manufacturer as you purchased from the seller.

The Sale of Goods Act states products should be fit for purpose and of sound quality, in simple terms.
The question is what does this mean in your case - that would have to be decided by a Court, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to contact the seller to complain about the fault.

I would send a letter to the supplier and quote that the sales of goods act.

The letter should be something along the lines of:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing with reference to a washing machine bought from you on INSERT DATE HERE. T
he goods were washing machine INSERT MODEL NAME AND NUMBER HERE which totalled INSERT PRICE HERE.
It now appears that the washing machine purchased has developed a fault and broken down.
am contacting you direct to give yourselves ample opportunity to resolve this problem and repair or replace the washing machine.

May i remind you of your responsibilities under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 (amended) are not superseded by your own warranty period, but that the warranty is in addition to our statutory rights as a consumer.

As I am sure you are aware, as the retailer who supplied these white goods to us, you have certain responsibilities. These responsibilities include supplying goods that are “fit for purpose” and of a quality that will last for a “reasonable” time. The time which this washing machine has lasted is INSERT TIME PERIOD HERE is not reasonable since it has merely been subjected to normal household use.

We are giving you reasonable time of 14 days to repair/replace these goods to a “fit for purpose” state that the Sales of Goods Act 1979 affords us as customers of yourselves. If the goods are not repaired within this time, we shall have the goods repaired (or if uneconomically viable, purchase an equivalent replacement) ourselves and pursue yourselves for all costs incurred, ultimately utilising the small claims courts if necessary.

We look forward hearing from you to quickly resolving this matter.

Yours Faithfully,

Let us know how you get on Smile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
hi, ring the manufacturer and explain that is just out of guarantee, ask if they have an out of warranty department. they will pass on the details give you a call and arrange to come and fix free of charge. i have done this with my dishwasher and my computer be nice and polite and they are usually very understanding.
I never thought it would happen to me.