• Moderators
(03-10-2011, 10:49 PM)alison Wrote: sorry, dont know what id did to make it post twice...ooppps Huh

thats what i am here for lol

i think most special needs schools start at about 3 and go on to 16 (some 18) as the children go up a year in their level rather than their age. Once he gets to the right school the lack of speech wont hold him back, matt still has limited speech but since starting college he has been using a proloquo2go program on an ipod (bit like pecs with speech) but since college he has come on leaps and bounds and is now at key stage 4 (he was signed off the nat curriculum years ago) but he has always considered himself an adult so didnt work well with other children.
not going to recommend stoke for special needs as while there are some good schools the social services leave a lot to be desired
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Registered
Hi,
Sorry, I must have used the wrong expression, I'm not quite up on the UK sp.nds lingo yet. The services I was talking about were just the school stuff included in IEP's, like speech. I'll cop on sooner or later. I don't even want to consider all the social services stuff. (anywhere we've lived its a nightmare) Thanks for getting back to me. Is it really hard to get local authority to pay for private school? Your son sounds like my Aodan, he considers himself very much a man too. xx

• Moderators
i dont know about private schools, dont think there are any round here though could be wrong hehe, i think it depends on if the special schools run by the county can meet your sons needs and if you can show they cant then you can push for private but think its a long slog
i understood you were asking about schools but speech and language tends to be slightly separate from education at least round here which is why i was suggesting steering clear (that and we have been voted worst place to live before now hehe) sounds like Aodan will be in his element when he reaches college age (or further education as its just special needs college with a different name)
got to say my brother lives across the border in newcastle under lyme and mum works there and the social services are brilliant just not enough to make me move house again, now i have got a good transitional social worker that will stay with matt till he is 25 just waiting a few months to matts 18th birthday and we can wave byebye to childrens services Big GrinBig Grin
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Registered
(03-12-2011, 11:56 PM)corinne Wrote: ...got to say my brother lives across the border in newcastle under lyme and mum works there and the social services are brilliant just not enough to make me move house again, now i have got a good transitional social worker that will stay with matt till he is 25 just waiting a few months to matts 18th birthday and we can wave byebye to childrens services Big GrinBig Grin

Hi Corrine,
Thanks for helping!!! You mentioned across the border, do you live in Scotland, and if so where?

• Moderators
Blush sorry thats what we say when we go from stoke to castle (newcastle under lyme) forgot that its nationally used as borders of country Blush i am a stokie born and bred so closer to wales than scotland