• Registered
(03-10-2011, 04:03 AM)stephk2010 Wrote: ps if you have a look on PODC's facebook page & my comments/replies to your post on there you will find on that one was able to put the links for you Smile thanks steph k

Hi, went onto facebook (FB). Is there a long name for PODC? All I could find was stuff in other languages. I must admit though I'm not the saviest of people when it comes to FB. I'd love a bit more help if you have time Blush

• VIP
PODC = Parents of disabled children

• Registered
Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your help. This is exactly what I'm hoping for: personal experience and recommendations from parents. I don't know what people do without support. I've scoured the internet, and asked family members all over the UK, but none of them have children with special needs. I've found schools that sound great in print, many with wonderful government standing. These types of things used to be important to us, but dont always mean this is where your child will be best served. Thats why now I'd like to go with other parents personal experience. Oh yeah, just curious, are ages 13 and 11(come Oct) considered secondary level?
This may sound skeptical but unfortunately, I've learned over the years, through trial and error (and believing what someone says is actually going to happen) [sometimes 3 schools in a year due to teachers request] that a glowing website, glowing state reports and local education authorities professing "our schools the place to be", aren't always what they're crack up to be. It comes down to the teachers and personnel being interested in helping your child and not just meeting their own government curriculum specs for the year. This is important but not at the expense of the child not learning. Just because its written in the IEP doesn't mean the IEP's being followed-we can't be there all day everyday to see to it. Sadly even re-reading this paragraph makes me feel I sound negative. Please know I'm not, I'm just disappointed because I only want the best for my children.
During the time my children have been of school-age, our work has taken us to Toronto Canada, and Southern California. Both these places have less than desirable services for special needs, especially as children get older. However giving cudos where due, California has brilliant gifted programs. This is where most of the special needs money goes. Neither place has schools for dyslexia, autism programs mostly cater to high functioning autism, and the multiple disability programs are mostly self proclaimed babysitting services. Our son does have alot going on but given the opportunity he enjoys learning, but this is overlooked sometimes due to his very limited almost non-existant speech. Personally our biggest road block over the years, has been my sons PICA (eating inedible objects). Schools and teachers panic not wanting him in their class/school, claiming liability issues. Ah, the land of North America, all about lawsuits, instead of helping Children. My son has a service dog, as do I, both of which are Irish Wolfhounds, so we're hoping to find a home with a fair sized backyard. Irish Wolfhounds are amazing service dogs.
Again I can't tell all of you how much I and my family appreciate your help.

• Registered
(03-10-2011, 08:24 PM)Nits Wrote: PODC = Parents of disabled children
thanks, I'll look now :-)

• Registered
sorry, dont know what id did to make it post twice...ooppps Huh