• VIP
hi everyone ive just found out im pregnant with my 3rd baby and although im very happy im also very scared i wont be able to cope as my 7yr old son has ASD, our daughter will be 3 in april and we have no concerns over her im just worried i wont be able to cope with a new baby when my son has an anger outburst or an emotional breakdown. he doesnt have them very often now as he is finally gettin the help and support he needs after 4yrs of us trying to get him the help.

deep down i know i can do it, but i have this doubt in me sayin maybe im being selfish havin this baby. we have told our son and hes very happy im just worried though cause he is dead cert that he wants a brother not another sister so if its a girl how do i break to him as we can never tell how hes going to react to everyday things let alone tellin him he might not be havin a brother im just very worried any advice would b amazing thank you xxx

• Established member
(03-05-2011, 10:54 PM)ambie28 Wrote: hi everyone ive just found out im pregnant with my 3rd baby and although im very happy im also very scared i wont be able to cope as my 7yr old son has ASD, our daughter will be 3 in april and we have no concerns over her im just worried i wont be able to cope with a new baby when my son has an anger outburst or an emotional breakdown. he doesnt have them very often now as he is finally gettin the help and support he needs after 4yrs of us trying to get him the help.

deep down i know i can do it, but i have this doubt in me sayin maybe im being selfish havin this baby. we have told our son and hes very happy im just worried though cause he is dead cert that he wants a brother not another sister so if its a girl how do i break to him as we can never tell how hes going to react to everyday things let alone tellin him he might not be havin a brother im just very worried any advice would b amazing thank you xxx

You will be fine. Social stories are the key to help prepare him for the new arrival. They are stories about him which are positive but give him knowledge on how you want him to deal with certain situations. Dont know if you have any ASD advisory service or support group in your area but that is a good way of getting advice. An emotional chart may help his outburst so he can indicate to you his mood without getting angry.

• VIP
Hi I'm sorry i have no advice on it for you , but congrats on the baby . Would books about babies help ? What way was your son when his sister came along ? I'm sure it will be fine and he'd maybe change his mind on what the baby is . Maybe someone at his school could offer you some advice . Wish you's all the best xx
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

• VIP
Congrats hun, my mum always says you'll cope because you have no choice, i also agree on the books thing, i prepare melissa for everything through reading and book, and the more your bump grows the more he can interact with the baby and explain things to him, good luck and wishing you a happy healthy pregnancy

• Established member
Hi and congrats xxx

My eldest has asd hes 14, I also have a 11 year old and an 8 year old. We worried but we coped. He wasnt diagnosed with ASD till he was 11 but we had other diagnosis's so knew that he had special needs, and the others adapt without being pushed out. In fact my other 2 are glowing at school and each of them have a buddy with sn at school cause the school say they are both so patient with them. Dont worry and enjoy your pregnancy and new baby he will adapt. xxxxx