• Established member
Hi Ill try to keep to the point but apologise now if i go on a bit!
I have twin boys born at 29 weeks aug06 Aaron is fine a normal bubbly mischevious child Austin has had problems since being born, he has Autsim amongst other issues. Austin statement allowed a 1:1 for 15 hours a week, i received this last June10. Aaron had already been accepted at the local primary, July 10 the local primary refused Austin (obviously this is not allowed) The LEA forced the school to take him, mid Sept the school finally advertised for a 1:1 for 15 hours end of Oct finally interviewed and employed, Austin began school mid Nov, He attends from 8.45 till 11.45 daily as per hours statemented (15) I have come across many minor problems, his teacher is the deputy head and she is lovely but because Austin has special needs everything is taken to the head and this is when i have a huge problem. Initially i appealed his statement hit a brick wall as he is not 5 till aug11 so school arguement is he doesnt have to be in school full time till then (legally anyway). His 1:1 seems very nice experienced with autism? not sure? Austin had what i would call a typical autistic incident in school PE activity had to take turns unfortunately my son didnt cope with this they called me in the afternoon to tell me, its the little things that are gettin me down. Another example i wait in reception to pick my son up at 1145 as not to upest his twin brother, i was asked by the receptionist 'If i got fed up of twoin an froing' to cut short she said i thought u would have given up by now!! Firstly where to start fro September??? LEA i dont find helpfull at all been pushed from pillar to post case worker has changed 4 times and PP tried to help but not alot. I do feel as tho the head is being personal everything hits a wall with her, the senco i have not seen in months, my community pead is on side has written letters that i know the school have received as pead has sent me copies but school havent recognised this, still have health visitor fighting my corner (she is good) school nurse has been disgusted with way i have been treated plus austin has a personal nurse at hosp generally to do with epilepsy issues but in general a help to . What is the right way to go about things for september, i would like him to be in mainstream as asd from my point of view do benefit .There have been times when i have just wanted to pull him out and send him to a special needs school, part of me wont as this is a oppurtunity i would like austin to have but ill be honest a small part of me wont give in and let the school win. Sorry if ive gone on i did warn u lol Thankyou kim

• New member Moderation
Hi, i have to reply to your message.
I went through the same thing with Bradley even down to saying they wouldnt take him but i dug my heals in. The school want an easy life DONT give them one .EVERY DAY make sure you ask what is being done to help your son and how they are addapting to his needs DO NOT give up this is what they are wanting. Hence i now home school Bradley and have done for almost 3 years.
Please anymore info or just a chat get in touch im no expert but i have been (in that exact place) Hugs Louise x

• Established member
(03-02-2011, 10:28 PM)louiseturnbull2 Wrote: Hi, i have to reply to your message.
I went through the same thing with Bradley even down to saying they wouldnt take him but i dug my heals in. The school want an easy life DONT give them one .EVERY DAY make sure you ask what is being done to help your son and how they are addapting to his needs DO NOT give up this is what they are wanting. Hence i now home school Bradley and have done for almost 3 years.
Please anymore info or just a chat get in touch im no expert but i have been (in that exact place) Hugs Louise x

Thankyou nice to meet someone in similar situation, just feel tired and fed up of it all Shame the system doesnt work not finding them helpfull at all Well tomorrow is another day Thankyou again x

• VIP
Hi, I can so relate to this my sons school are so rubbish it is beyond belief I won't go into that now I will be there all day.

Try and find your head of Special Educational Needs and call them and tell them everything if you have already called them tell them you want their boss and keep going up until someone listens I live in Westminster and after having to work my way through useless people I am currently on the head of the whole of London's special needs and she is actually helping so that is good. I am the opposite and want my son in a specialst school as a main stream just can't cope but if you want your son there the school HAS to adapt to meet his needs, it is against the law not too. If you need any help wording letters or advice etc let me know I pretty much know how to get things done now it is just a case of finding the right person with the power to do it. I wouldn't worry about the head too much as much as they are important I gave up on my sons a long time ago as she doesn't ever do anything and went above her head. I know it is frustrating but trust me someone will help you, unfortunately you have to be VERY persistent as they want to save as much money as possible. xxxx
Will I EVER stop having to fight for my son to have what he NEEDS!? Huh

• New member Moderation
your right you have to fight for everything, at least you can come and vent a little on hear with people listening and no how you feel.
Take care x