• VIP
Hi, I hope someone can help....Our little girl is 5yrs (Year 1) at a mainstream school.

Today we had a meeting with her class teacher who is worried/concerned that she is unable to get through to her on occasions. She is able to do some tasks above average level but others mean nothing too her e.g history. We have been told that she is HFA but her language and understanding skills are still below average, we don't really have meltdowns anymore during home life but does in school regarding assembly!!

Would she be able to follow an adapted curriculum to meet her needs and help her learn things that she needs to know later on and life skills??

Thank you for any repplies.Heart

• New member Moderation
Hi,
I was in the same possition with my son when age 5, we now home school due to school not providing enugh support.
As regards to assembly, your school has to make changes to addapt tp your childs needs, have they tried having your daughter in the hall/ room first so that she is not walking in to a room FULL of children as
also have her sit near the back , this did help Bradley.
The curriculum part, your daughter can learn ANYTHING it may just take longer than another child , what we found is it is all trial and error,Bradleys teacher had to try alsorts of ways just to get bradley to learn to count all it takes is lots of ideas .
What we did find though was that the staff tried to group together all asd children thinking they were all the same, and because they had read it in some text book they thought they new best, in the end Bradley learned to count using SONIC THE HEDGEHOG yes teachers had to print out pictures that caught his eye and he was interested in. Bradley is now almost 7 and some days we get no work done if he is stressed, tierd but it is not the end of the word as he is still learning even though it is at a slower pace , i do have a private tutor to come out once a week and do some work with bradley and she leaves us work to do during week, i really hope you manage to get it all sorted.
Sending love and hugs Louise x

• VIP
Thank you very much for your reply, hardly slept last night!!!!! I just worry because it's mainstream that it would be easier for them that she left and went to an unit! I only want whats best for her.
Thanks again Louise for the reply
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
(03-03-2011, 07:34 AM)Ilovecake Wrote: Thank you very much for your reply, hardly slept last night!!!!! I just worry because it's mainstream that it would be easier for them that she left and went to an unit and maybe she would be better and more understood there but I don't want to make any rushed decisions. I only want whats best for her.
Thanks again Louise for the reply

Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• New member Moderation
I understand were your coming from, as long as your daughter isnt coming home disstressed or is unhappy about going (and not just the normal oh i dont want to go to school lark) Then dig your feet in and make the school provide what they are ment to dont forget it is schools that are banging on about inclusion . We never no what will happen in time your daughter may not be able to cope in mainstream, or she might cope better than anyone could wish, now i found this next part hard you have to play it by ear day by day eventhough we want a routine set in stone so there are less changes your daughters needs will change i know Bradleys have. At the end of the day when your daughter comes home if she is happy make that school and all the staff work for their money, you really have to fight for what you need. Take care xx