• Registered
Hi everyone.
Me and my partner have 3 children.
Our little boy who is 6 is down syndrome.
We are moving into a privately rented 4 bedroom house and have asked our landlady (very understanding about our son and his needs, atm living in one of her houses and because we had a new baby she bought us a new house which is more suitable ie downstairs loo, bigger garden, out of local town etc) if we could convert the garage into a sensory room/ playroom for him.
She has given us permission on terms of we don't ask for help from her.

I was wondering has anyone else ever done this to a private rented house?

Did you get help with grants etc? and what did they cover? (reason is because we claim benefits since my partner lost his job, just after I became pregnant)

If anyone has any information please message me.

Sophie x

• VIP
[quote='mofie86' pid='27258' dateline='1298917024']
Hi everyone.
We are moving into a privately rented 4 bedroom house and have asked our landlady (very understanding about our son and his needs, atm living in one of her houses and because we had a new baby she bought us a new house which is more suitable ie downstairs loo, bigger garden, out of local town etc) if we could convert the garage into a sensory room/ playroom for him.

Did you get help with grants etc? and what did they cover? (reason is because we claim benefits since my partner lost his job, just after I became pregnant)

Sophie x

you could convert garage with out any problems
there is celebra that could help you
and also familyfund too
also they do fantastic sensory equipment on her e
they have a shop which they selling fibre optics cheaper

Heart mum of 2 Heart

• VIP
you could always try caudwell children, children today

• Registered
(02-28-2011, 06:17 PM)mofie86 Wrote: Hi everyone.

Sophie x

Hi Sophie

I have just done what you want to do for my 5 year old son. I live in my own house but still got it funded by my OT. My garage was already converted into a room. The padding cost £4500.
This included padding on the wall upto a metre all round and padding on the floor.
Before I got funding from my OT. I was looking into lots of different charities. My social worker gave me a list so this my be another avenue to travel down. Nothing happened over night but good luck.

Mrs G

• Registered
Hi, sort of similar, i lived in a 2 bedroom bungalow with my disabled son, and we are trying to get an extention for a safe room for him, but the ot says we are not eligable for a dfg as they are for bedrooms only and not sensory rooms or safe area... so is there any other grant that i could try to get help from?
any advice would be greatly appreciated.