• VIP
We live in a 3 bed housing assocation house (used to be council),my little boy has ASD development delay and some moblity problems. could we apply for a DFG Grant to have a down stairs toliet fitted, also if we could would like an extention added to make a multi sensory room for Ben. Or would we have to go through our housing officer
thanks

• Registered
Hi i have been wondering the same thing, we had to sell and buy a house more suitable for our son he has ASD amd global developmental delay no speech doesnt eat at all, and uses disabled buggy, house we are moving to is better lay out s...o we can keep an eye on him , only problem is only has 1 toilet, and no room downstairs on same level as us to use as sensory room... we are hoping for either extention or conservatory that we could use as sensory room, but way things are with councils at present i am not holding out much hope , but good luck .

• Established member
I am in the middle of our DFG at the min, work will begin soon, they will only pay for a bedroom and/or bathroom where one is needed! they dont even put in carpet!! and they only do the bare minuimun too

• Registered
Our old conservatory was dropping to bits and we used that room as a bounce pad and storge for joseph, we were unable to get a new one paid for as they will not fund conservatories as they are not a permanent structure. They would however build us a downstairs wc which we declined as we did not have the room to allocate to it without loosing valuable space. Generally they will fund additional rooms if your house is classed as overcrowded and your child with a disability is having to share with a sibling. One of my friends has just had a 25 k loft conversion done as her asd son was having to share with his 3 brothers, it was a long drawn outr process and took approx 2 yrs from start to finish[/font]

• Registered
A lot of lofts are converted in the area we are moving to , but we need mainly a downstairs sensory room for him on same level as we are on so we can see him as both me and my husband are profoundly deaf so we cannot hear his movements from room to room hense why we have had to sell and buy a house with a different layout.
Well i guess there will be room for the toilet , its the sensory room that would be needed tho as that would be also a way in with the buggy too with out trailing it right thru the house, as gap between the garage and back door is rather small.