• VIP
Hi I am in need of your help please. We currently live in a 4 bed house, 1 room is a downstairs extension that was done by the adaptations team for my daughter Elly who is now 11 and has CP. At the same time a wet floor shower was put in and a downstairs toilet. This was perfect for her until the last 6 months. Our son Jack who is 14 months is blind has severe choking episodes, Microcephaly and GDD. He has possible CDC but is as yet undiagnosed. We have been told however that he will never walk or talk and is waiting for a gastrostomy to be on continuous Jejenum feeds. I am also now disabled and have severe arthritis causing me mobility problems and I need carrying up and down stairs etc. My husband James is carer to all 3 of us and to Beth our oldest daughter who is 15. Elly and Jacks Paed has told us we need to be on 1 level so we contacted Leeds City Council. We filled out the form and received our priority. It is General Needs 3 bed properties. It also had a medical housing form which we have returned. Sorry this post is so long but does any 1 know who can help us with this.

Debbie Confused
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain .....

• VIP
I am not really sure about things in England etc. We have put in for a 4 bedroomed bungalow, which our local housing association agrees with, as there are none available they have to build us one but this will take a few years.

Our social worker has been invaluable to us through this whole process, she has gotten everyone involved, including our OT, letters from everyone etc.
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• Established member
Hi my son is 3 and has CDC and we are currently going through the process of adapting our little terrace with a 2 storey extension to give him a wet room and a bigger bedroom as he has a tiny tiny box room, we looked to the council for a bungalow for us with 2/3 bedrooms and they said that they are few and far between and that we would be waiting years for one to become avalible and even then we might not get it!!
have you approached your local MP and councillor to see if they can help you in any way at all??

• Administrators
Have you had a recent OT assessment? Do you know if their are many 4bed bungalows in your area?? Xx

• VIP
Elly has a social worker but in all honesty she is a bit useless and doesn't want to know. We are waiting for a CHAD OT assesment for Jack and an OT assesment for me from adult social care. Our local council are also sending their own OT to assess us all. Complicated I know, but we have been waiting since November for this to happen and every time I phone up each service is waiting for the other. It is so frustrating I need some one to co ordinate it really for me. If James my husband falls ill I dread to think how we will manage. There are no 4 bed bungalows in Leeds so we are very worried. Do local authorities have any obligation to build or buy a property to meet our needs ?
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain .....