• VIP
Hi
Hoping someone here can help (you have done in the past Smile )
Im looking into having my rear garden "modifed" to enable Noah (and his siblings) a safe level area to ride bikes, scooters etc. Due to Noah's autism and total lack of danger he will never be able to ride out in the street like other children his age. I have had permission from my Housing Officer, she even sent out one of her gardeners to do a quote. Sadly he was obv having a bad day as firstly he told me there was no way they could get a mini digger through to the rear garden and also only quoted for what he saw as the easiest "fix" which basically would pose more probs then solved. So I have resigned myself to the fact the council wont be doing the work as a, its not what I asked for and b, they prob wont stump up the funds anyway. I have since had a local builder/gardener round and they see no issue with access etc and have given rough estimate of £2000 Confused
My parent support worker suggested the FF, I just wondered if they actually gave grants for this sort of work and that level of money?
I might be able to raise the money (beg/borrow/raid college funds!) in order to get the work started as obv builders need to plan their workload and grant could take months to be processed etc.. and would love it to be ready in time for summer.
But obv I run the risk of not getting the grant and being left high and dry
Wow sorry its so long!
Any ideas, experience would be great
TIA x
Heart Single Mummy to Noah (5) ASD, Abbigail (4) and Oliver (2) Heart

• Registered
Hi, we claimed for the exact same thing last year, we got a quote from a local company and sent the letter headed quote in with our application. It was authorised and we got the result however they do say if its a large grant that you cant claim for 2 years after the grant is authorised. Hope this helps good luck

• Registered
Hi i dont think family fund would provide 2k anyway i think they have a limit of about 1k so you would probably have to fund the rest yourself.
Maybe look along the lines of doing some funds raising yourself to pay for the work and advertise in your local paper asking if companys could offer the labour for free as it is for your disabled child.
Hope this helps. we are currently in process of moving to a more suitable house due to our son being diagnosed with severe autism.
A garden of decent size was what we needed .. costly process and costing us a fortune to sell n move but needs musts.
Our next job will be doing the garden for our sons needs. Good luck with it.

• VIP
Is your house council or housing association.
if it is your housing association should be doing it for you, we had ours done 18mths ago now, we had the manchester adaptations team round who told us they don't do gardens but would write to our housing association as its up to them to do the work as the garden isn't fit for a disability, the housing them came out and did some measurements, pricing etc and then they did it, it did take them about 5 weeks to finish it but it is completely flagged, they also couldn't get a digger in either so all the work had to be done by hand and their was alot of leveling to be done aswell.

• VIP
Thanks for the quick replies
I think I will call my parent support worker again tomorrow as she knows my Housing officer pretty well. I got the distinct feeling that the housing association builder/gardener though it was too big a job ad that they wouldnt fund it.
Might have to stress to them the importance of a safe area for Noah now that he is getting older etc...
Thankfully I can call upon our Ed physc and out reach worker easily as they have been heavily involved with school based issues recently so I have them on speed dial!
Heart Single Mummy to Noah (5) ASD, Abbigail (4) and Oliver (2) Heart