• VIP
Thank you both xx
I have been taking him to school for about 6 months, just for an hour here and there so that the staff can get to know him and he can get used to a different setting other than home, hospital or hospice.
We are lucky that his respite provider for the past year has just taken up the position of school nurse, so I am releaved that there will always be someone there who knows him well.
Now the best part of him starting school is I am going to learn to drive!! I have till he turns 3 in April to pass, so I can make use of the mobility allowance....best get my finger out!! eeeek!!!

• Administrators
(01-04-2010, 11:03 PM)zaksmum Wrote: Thank you both xx
I have been taking him to school for about 6 months, just for an hour here and there so that the staff can get to know him and he can get used to a different setting other than home, hospital or hospice.
We are lucky that his respite provider for the past year has just taken up the position of school nurse, so I am releaved that there will always be someone there who knows him well.
Now the best part of him starting school is I am going to learn to drive!! I have till he turns 3 in April to pass, so I can make use of the mobility allowance....best get my finger out!! eeeek!!!
Will you be making use of the family fund or a carers grant(Subject to local council)to pay for the lessons?
I ask because not everybody is aware of options such as these.Blush
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
Yes, absolutely!
I have been awarded the money to pay for all of this by family fund. So far I have taken and passed my theory and now I just need to learn to actually drive.
What some people might not be aware of though, is that family fund do make exceptions to their rules.....
My husband, being in the royal navy, earns too much for us to qualify for their grant scheme as it is means tested. However, they have an exeptional circumstances clause....Ours was awarded for several reasons....we live in a very rural area, Zaks school/hospital etc is at least 10 miles away, there is no disabled access on the busses in our area, Zak has a life threatning condition and needs access to a car in an emergency at times, and my hubby has the families only car in Scotland.
Because of this, they said that as a one off they would make an exception to the normal qualifying rules. I was given a package of 2 attempts at the theory test, 45 hours of lessons, 2 attempts at the practical and all the book work needed to pass.
So sometimes, even if you don't think you will qualify, it is worth asking anyway.

• Banned
well Daniel school is opened but we cant get out we are snowed in and matthew couldnt get to nursery no staff could get in. and Daniel's bus wasnt running into his area due to snow and guess what its forcasted to be on until weekend, anyone else had problems this morning.

• VIP
It was meant to be Zaks first day today. We got a phone call from transport saying they couldn't come because of the snow, so I had a listen to the radio, and yes, his school is closed for the forseeable future too. My daughter is deeply upset cos her school is just across the road from our house, and open for business (hehe).
So, don't know when wee man will be starting yet, will have to watch the weather xx