• VIP
Hi Bessie Smile

Daniel is right, you should request a review of his Statement. His needs may not have changed, but his needs are not being met, that is the problem for you and the statement is pointless unless it does. It is good the school is keeping records as this is proof, if you have noticed a change at home keep a diary of this as well.

If he has a statement then you can choose which state school your son can attend, the LEA have to give very good reasons for denying you your rights. I see where you think he would be 'going backwards' by going to the special school, but there's nothing saying he can't change as the special school will help his behaviour, and if his behaviour improves he could go back to mainstream. It is your choice.

On the other hand if you wish him to stay at mainstream it is your choice also. If at the review they are presented with evidence from the school that he needs more help they must provide it.

If you're not sure of any wording as them to explain it to you in plain english, I'm reasonably good at understanding but some of the wording in my son's statement had me flummoxed, Kinesthetic learning anyone Huh I don't know why they couldn't just say learning through play or activity Rolleyes And yes I just had to look it up again just to make sure I knew what it meant TongueBig Grin

• Registered
Thanks MaggieMay thats very helpful - the school are keeping a log of everything, I think primarily as it affects health and safety of other pupils (hitting) & I will start keeping a diary at home like you suggest. I will give the mainstream longer as they're trying hard & he's only just started so I dont want to put him through the upheaval of another move so soon. Yes Daniel - that is EXACTLY what everyone kept saying all the way through the statementing process!

• Administrators
(10-27-2009, 08:51 PM)MaggieMay Wrote: If you're not sure of any wording as them to explain it to you in plain english, I'm reasonably good at understanding but some of the wording in my son's statement had me flummoxed, Kinesthetic learning anyone Huh I don't know why they couldn't just say learning through play or activity Rolleyes And yes I just had to look it up again just to make sure I knew what it meant TongueBig Grin

Well just to avoid other parents having issues ive put together a guide of the useful and often used words in Sen Statements

http://www.parentsofdisabledchildren.co.uk/sen-statements-and-meanings-of-the-abbreviations-t-170.html

And your Kinesthetic word is included especially for youTongueWink
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
Thanks Daniel. Maybe put a warning about that "fostering independance" phrase too! lol Rolleyes

• Administrators
There are so many words.
If anybody wants to add to the list over on the other post carry on more the merrier....
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE