• VIP
Hi, I just applied and they got back to me within a week. VERY impressed as it was my first time I got two awards. I got a cash award for sensory equipment for my son (going to post about that later with pictures) and I got vouchers for a holiday. It depends how much the overall cost of everything is but the woman told me they will often let you have to awards when it is your first time. Just explain as much as you can about your child's condition then put a note explaining that the doctor is away on leave. Then put her address and her team etc and they will write and contact her team and get information from them, funnily enough exactly the same thing recently happened to us she went on maternity leave just after diagnosing my son!!

Hope that helps. Just fill out the form, it can't do any hard. Just decide what your son NEEDS the most and then apply for the top two things Big Grin.
Will I EVER stop having to fight for my son to have what he NEEDS!? Huh

• Registered
(02-26-2011, 12:42 AM)lubynoo Wrote: Hi, I just applied and they got back to me within a week. VERY impressed as it was my first time I got two awards. I got a cash award for sensory equipment for my son (going to post about that later with pictures) and I got vouchers for a holiday. It depends how much the overall cost of everything is but the woman told me they will often let you have to awards when it is your first time. Just explain as much as you can about your child's condition then put a note explaining that the doctor is away on leave. Then put her address and her team etc and they will write and contact her team and get information from them, funnily enough exactly the same thing recently happened to us she went on maternity leave just after diagnosing my son!!

Hope that helps. Just fill out the form, it can't do any hard. Just decide what your son NEEDS the most and then apply for the top two things Big Grin.

Thanks Lubynoo, that's just the response i was hoping for. Did you say that when you sent your applicaton you got told of your award within a week! Wow, is that a new record for Family Fund?!
I've been in touch with Rhys's psych dept and they've since told me that the Dr that diagnosed him wasn't even a permanent member of the team, she was just on rotation! But of course the department still have her notes on Rhys. I've been chasing up his school to get his statement but i've been told it could take til next year to sort out, but that's another thread, lol.
I've posted off my application & after reading other threads I applied for a computer to help him at home, clothes, bedding & a dishwasher which would be a complete godsend for us, I'm not getting my hopes up though I know budgets are tight just now, I just figured we've got nothing to lose. Does anyone know if you can buy shoes with the clothing voucher as well or is it just clothes? Is it the Love2Shop vouchers they give for the clothes?
thanks Karynn

• Registered
**UPDATE**
I've just received a letter from Family Fund saying that a Family Fund Advisor in my area will be in touch, they will arrange a time to call and meet and to see the child during the visit. It also says to have the following information ready for the advisor:
The full names and addresses of the doctors and other professionals who knows your child best,
The name and addresss of your child's school / nursery,
Any recent reports about your child,
A copy of the statement or record of needs if your child has one,
A list of any medications your child is prescribed.
At the bottom of the letter it says that you can check the progress of your application by texting your Family Fund number and get a message within about 5 minutes.
One of my problems is I haven't really got much paperwork on Rhys, no statement yet, the only report I have is from the Psych that diagnosed him, the only medication he's on is epaderm for dermatitis.
I know that when the advisor visits Rhys probably won't say anything apart from yes or no to questions.
Any advice for when the advisor visits gratefully received, thanks
Karynn

• VIP
Yes they were VERY quick I did email them daily and chase them up though Big Grin and when I first sent off the application form I made sure they had EVERYTHING I could possibly give them and so it was processed quicker. Just get everything you can manage for the advisor and write everything else down so you don't forget when they are there.

hope it goes well Big Grin
Will I EVER stop having to fight for my son to have what he NEEDS!? Huh

• Established member
I got my grant within 10 days too. I applied for some household items. They phoned me and said as it was my first application I was entitled to more money and did I want some for clothes and bedding for my daughter!! I've never had anyone want to give me more money than I asked for before!!

I do agree with lubynoo make sure you send anything that might possibly be relevant.