• Registered
Hi,
After reading some of the threads already on here, although very informative they didn't quite answer my questions regarding first applications. Our son was diagnosed with Autism last June and his Psychiatrist went on maternity leave, we were left in limbo with no information whatsoever. Thank goodness for the internet or we would never have had any clue that the Family Fund existed. I know from their info that the first application can take 4-6 months and that we may receive a home visit. But, where i'm struggling is the application form itself.
Firstly it asks about how your child's condition affects them and how it affects their behaviour, because he's an only child & his behaviour and actions are all we've known it's difficult for us to explain into such a tiny box, can you attach a larger piece of paper for more info?
Secondly, how much support your child receives, he doesn't have a one to one support assistant, his teacher doesn't have a classroom assistant but he does see the Special Education Needs woman 3 times a week for about 30 minutes which doesn't sound much at all.
Apparantly the school have started the ball rolling with getting him assessed for his statement & i've had to fill out a catalogue of forms to get that started but at the moment we've heard nothing.
What sort of things to first applicants receive? We'd like to apply for a computer for him, day trips, clothes that sort of thing.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Also, my son doesn't have a social worker, physio, occupational therapist, speech therapist etc. I don't even know if the Psychiatrist that diagnosed him is back from maternity yet.

• Moderators
if his psych is on maternity is nobody covering her patients?? perhaps you could get someone there to call. i am in same boat as matt is only child so thought back to my brother at that age or friends children to get an idea of how different he was but guess it was a bit easier as matt is classed as severe (dont think they use that word anymore but matt was diagnosed 15yrs ago)
does he have any obsessions or routines that he follows as that is one way that autism affects his behaviour, you can attach a larger sheet as the more they know about the child the better really
as a first time applicant you do usually get a bit more than other applications but it depends on how much funding they have available at the time as well. there is a list on the website which tells you what you can apply for. things like clothing would be if he needs more changing than other 7yr olds because he wets or spills food all time he eats things like that. you need to put the 3 items you choose in order of importance to your son so if the main thing he would like is the computer then put that first so if they only help with one or two things you would be more likely to get that one.
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Registered
(02-13-2011, 01:54 PM)corinne Wrote: if his psych is on maternity is nobody covering her patients?? perhaps you could get someone there to call. i am in same boat as matt is only child so thought back to my brother at that age or friends children to get an idea of how different he was but guess it was a bit easier as matt is classed as severe (dont think they use that word anymore but matt was diagnosed 15yrs ago)
does he have any obsessions or routines that he follows as that is one way that autism affects his behaviour, you can attach a larger sheet as the more they know about the child the better really
as a first time applicant you do usually get a bit more than other applications but it depends on how much funding they have available at the time as well. there is a list on the website which tells you what you can apply for. things like clothing would be if he needs more changing than other 7yr olds because he wets or spills food all time he eats things like that. you need to put the 3 items you choose in order of importance to your son so if the main thing he would like is the computer then put that first so if they only help with one or two things you would be more likely to get that one.

Thanks for the quick response. I don't know if anyone is covering her Psych patients, I would imagine so, i'll be ringing the clinic tomorrow to find out. Rhys is selective mute in school & around any new people, he saw a speech therapist once when he was 5 & didn't say a single word but he was discharged after that appointment. She said it wasn't her job to give a child confidence in school as he had the language skills at home. Anyway, he's always been strong willed & 'difficult' to cope with, but what we didn't know when he was a baby was his hypersensitivity to noise, the hoover, supermarket, fireworks etc he would be compeletly hysterical. He's not so bad with noise now. He was bullied at his first school & he didn't say a word but did play up every morning trying to get him there & we didn't know why. We moved house but kept him at the same school to maintain a bit of stability, how wrong we were! I know this may read like war & peace so sorry. But, he gets very violent, aggressive, we've had bites, scratches, bruises, headbutts, kicks you name it basically, he's literally pulled my hair out. He's calmed a bit since moving schools but we're still waiting on his assessment for his statement.

• VIP
Hithere
After the rules changedwe appliedto the familyfund and I hadthe money from theaward within 10 days of posting the application. We got £700 for a funpod for the kitchen and a resonance unit andmat, then a futher £100 on a voucher for clothes. I listed what we wanted on the form and they rang to confirm our priorities and they suggested the clothes. Good luck on your application
Rachel

• Registered
(02-20-2011, 09:28 AM)annies mummy Wrote: Hithere
After the rules changedwe appliedto the familyfund and I hadthe money from theaward within 10 days of posting the application. We got £700 for a funpod for the kitchen and a resonance unit andmat, then a futher £100 on a voucher for clothes. I listed what we wanted on the form and they rang to confirm our priorities and they suggested the clothes. Good luck on your application
Rachel

Hi Rachel, what's a funpod? I've just been reading on another thread about a ds game to aid communication tap to talk, i think i'll look into that, that would be perfect for him to use at school.
The voucher you got for clothes where was that for?
Karynn