• Registered
i'm having thoughts about educating my son at school he's 4, he attends a special school 3 days a wk starting september and was going to put him in main stream the other two days, but he has big problems with change, and doesn't concentrate if there is lots of noise, can anyone tell me the process of home educating, and what the laws are?
sorry should have said home educating.

• Registered
(06-02-2010, 05:06 PM)claire1979 Wrote: i'm having thoughts about educating my son at school he's 4, he attends a special school 3 days a wk starting september and was going to put him in main stream the other two days, but he has big problems with change, and doesn't concentrate if there is lots of noise, can anyone tell me the process of home educating, and what the laws are?
sorry should have said home educating.

Hi there is not really as process there are many different ways to home educate some people have structure some don't, some follow books or some form of curriculam others just go with a subject. As for the law a section of the education act says It is the Duty of parents to secure education of children of compulsory school age.
The parent of every child of compulsory school age shall cause him to receive efficient full-time education suitable—
to his age, ability and aptitude, and
to any special educational needs he may have,
either by regular attendance at school or otherwise.

Google home education go to the library and rent out some books to get a flavour of it and see which style suits you. I thought I would be a go with the flow person but my son did not like it so we did a semi structure a mix of Kumon classes and picking a subject and learning about it. For example we did religion looked at all the different one, did some of their celebrations and cooked some delicious foods we had never had before Smile. He is very knowledgeble now when items on the news mention muslims as we did that one in depth. We did various stages in history and visited sites like castles, stately homes and caves. At your sons age you will be doing simple stuff like instilling a love of reading, numeracy and simple writing. We wrote a lot of books he still hates writing but his typing is wonderful. And join some home education sites like muddy puddle and sparkebox for things to do. Its a worth while thing to do. Good luck.

• Registered
hi i have took my son out from special school to home educating i do not know how to educate him and where i can get help.please help me
(01-03-2010, 01:02 PM)debfro34 Wrote: Hi Just thought I would put my story on here in case it interests or can help anyone. I home educated my eldest son from the age of 11 to 16 as he is Asperger and had big problems at school. When I took him out of school I did not know what was wrong with him but did know he was not learning and was unhappy and we spent five happy stress free years learning. He went to a special needs college at 16 and they were amazed by how strong and smart he was and the head of year told me that because I him they had changed their attitude to taking on home educated Children. He is above average in maths and english even with his problems but they say the difference is he is not so damaged by the system as the other pupils. If anybody ever considers home education I would be happy to answer any questions I can. I will be home edding again when my younger son starts to struggle but at the moment he has a wonderful school so hopefully not yet.

• VIP
Hi,

before i can go through what may be helpful for you, can you tell me how old your child is, and seen as he's at special school is he working at at lower age level or the right age level.

Also what part of the country are you in as some areas have their own home educating groups.

stacey

• Registered
Hi, I want so badly to home educate my child, with autism, but she also has terrible temper tantrums and will not cooperate with hardly anything i want her to do, everything is a struggle. The schools are leaving her behind even more, she is in her thrid year of school and doing preschool work, but not well. She can write her name, count to 10, but all this was taught to her in preschool and K. She has not really learned any new skill this year. I am so afraid to give it a try, as her behavior is hitting, tantruming, kicking, biting, refusing to do what is asked of her, throwing herself on the floor, and she is a big girl, and I can't lift her. Any advice to me? Strangely, she loves people and getting lots of people's attention, so I think she would miss the social aspect of school, but I don't feel that is such a big problem, Look at the olden days, church and community get togethers was all they had for social life and they did fine. Besides outings to the museums and other field trips provide opportunities to interact with people, Thanks for any info you can give me or any advice.