• Registered
Hi Just thought I would put my story on here in case it interests or can help anyone. I home educated my eldest son from the age of 11 to 16 as he is Asperger and had big problems at school. When I took him out of school I did not know what was wrong with him but did know he was not learning and was unhappy and we spent five happy stress free years learning. He went to a special needs college at 16 and they were amazed by how strong and smart he was and the head of year told me that because I him they had changed their attitude to taking on home educated Children. He is above average in maths and english even with his problems but they say the difference is he is not so damaged by the system as the other pupils. If anybody ever considers home education I would be happy to answer any questions I can. I will be home edding again when my younger son starts to struggle but at the moment he has a wonderful school so hopefully not yet.

• Administrators
Wow!!!
I would imagine to some parents school is the only respite they get...
How did you find it was with your life?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
Much easier than school Smile ASD Children are generally traumetised by school as they do not learn as other Children do. My son saw an old episode of charlie brown a couple of years ago and said to me mum thats what my teachers sounded like it made me think how hard it was for him and made me glad I had removed him. Its a different pace of life and I could find ways to teach him things his mental maths is wonderful thanks to playing games ie yugi oh and pokemon cards have points etc He had fewer stresses hence virtually no meltdowns and our days were structured to him. Life was easier x x

• Administrators
We were worried about Euans eduation as we had a council funding problem which we have since found a loophole with.....
But had the council not have accomdated Euans needs i was also considering this.
I think what you did was amazing in the fact that you put his needs first.
I know most parents would but it can not be easy.
What about freinds,does your son have any freinds and how were these formed without school?
I suppose you could also say a child with some needs would struggle with freindships and therefore it would be no diffrent........
Intresting to know if it does affect freindships in anyway?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
Alex only had one friend anyway who spent a lot of his time defending Alex even to the teachers which was not fair really although I coudn't stop him. When he left school ben came round everydayafter school to play so he had company. He met a few people through Kumon which he did at age 14 but most of his mates were online as Alex does not like people in his face so to speak. The home ed groups are wonderful if he had wanted friend he would have got them.but he did not. He is at college now and his tutors tell me he has a group of friends but he says he has to put his face on at college and he does not want to do that at home hence only one lad comes round occasionally to play wii etc. We did do a lot of things that made him chat to people like the museum staff new him and would tell him about stuff but he does not cope well with people and he does have to make an effort.My younger son is the same he won't attend beavers won't come to church and complains the Children at school even his friends make his head hurt.