• VIP
do you think this will happen all over the uk
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12376923
im discusted that they actually thing about doing this
Heart mum of 2 Heart

• Moderators
lol its hard enough to get Children to concentrate after about 2pm as it is how on earth are they going to manage if they have to stay until 5pm as its statutory 25 hours a week and as they would still have to pay the staff regardless of how many days the hours are over where is there any saving plus parents will have to drop their hours or finish their jobs entirely so there will be more ppl claiming housing and other benefits

also re the starting school at 6 all children are entitled to free nursery over the age of 3 arent they? so all they will be doing is transfering saving from school budget to nursery budget and you will end up with 5yr olds playing with 2 and 3 yr olds what would health and safety say about that??
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Established member
I think our education system is in the dark ages and is failing our children massively. Look to Sweeden who have the education system that is the envy of the world. We all know that children learn less after lunch thats why most schools in other countries start around 8am and finish around 1pm to make the most of the time that children are more receptive to learning. Also most other countries children don't start in school till 6 and have to stay in school until 18 years then the decision they face is work or university.

In this country we are expecting babies to grow up to fast (I believe it is emotionally damaging to be expecting so much from 3,4 and 5 year olds. 5 year olds should still be at home going to playgroups and being babies,) and 13 years old to choose what subjects they wish to study - a decision which potentially decides their future.

Honestly what 13 year old knows what they want to do for the rest of their lives?? Then we are presenting 16 year olds with the option continue in school or go to work. The lure of money is a powerful one to the majority of 16 year olds over staying in school which they believe is terrible (doesnt matter how much you tell them that these are the best years of their lives - they never believe it until a few years later). Hence changing this to 18 year olds you are giving them 3 extra years before asking them what they wish to study at 16 instead of 13. And 2 extra years before allowing them to decide if they want to go to university or out to work by which time from the age of 16 most will have worked part-time and decide, I dont want a job like this for the rest of my live, I'm going to study and get a career. Things have got to change but in a major way not a half hearted face. So we dont end up with free nursery places until 5, education continues till 18, working hours would have to change to accomadate the different school times - if it means our children are getting the best education they can possibly get - I would welcome the change.

• VIP
i dont belive in them cutting a day off
what about them starting a little earlier and finishing a little earlier

but i dont know what they expect working mum and dads to do with 4 days a week

Heart mum of 2 Heart

• Moderators
it was on the radio that they werent going to go to 4 day weeks but were still looking into them starting at 6 but at end of day they shouldnt be looking at saving money by taking away a years education from children
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.