• Administrators
We are under a Tory/lib dem colition council and we have some good services such as the community nursing team but they only work until 5pm on a weekday and weekends 8:30 until 4 afterwhich we have no service.
This has been the case since we were under labour as well.
Its very easy to think all the cuts are a result of the goverment but sadly its not.
In Labours time in power they shut over 1500 special needs school placements.
They also made the disability living allowance system be open to fraud for example 42% OF NEW CLAIMS were not even verified by a doctor or any checks whatsoever it was done on face value of the application.

Also think of it another way....
You are the leader of a labour goverment for example lets say in Stoke........
In stoke the labour council make cuts that make headlines.....
Can you see the advantage of doing this?
Headline DISABLED SERVICES CUT DUE TO FUNDING...
Come the next election people will think we lost this so we wont vote for this....

There is tactical cuts being made and do remember many of these local service cuts are not being cut by central goverment but by your local council and if your local council is labour then look to blame them.
Maybe if Labour hadnt cleaned out the savings jar and left us penniless then maybe we wouldnt be here today worrying.
No politician likes making tough choices and its not something that will win votes and they know that but some cuts are needed.

Many local papers pick up on the cuts and scare monger but i urge people not to worry too much.

Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
Hi,
It's hard not to blame government overall when cuts are made due to smaller budgets but i agree someone in the local council is making these decisions, but that doesn't make it right I haven't experienced life with a disabled child under anything other than this government, all I see is how things we valued are taken away. I am very new to this and if I'm honest struggling. So it's hard not to look to allocate blame when these small decisions just make life more difficult. I'm not looking to scaremonger but to see how decisions are affecting people on a day to day level.

Mam to Thea aged 4, and Nate nearly 7 months hypotonia, breathing difficulties ( oxygen and BIPAP), dysmorphic features, undiagnosed genetically as yet.HeartHeartHeart

• VIP
hi, here in Bury we are losing maternity services, special care baby unit where my son spent the first 3 months of his life. discussions are taking place regarding travel to school transport it has not been decided exactly how they are going to make the cuts and how we will be affected but they will be in place for september. our local surestart centres going and a local disabled childrens centre that advises and supports parents and gives tea time respite breaks is for the chop!
I never thought it would happen to me.

• VIP
Hi no it hasnt done anything to us yet , but then again i've had no help with respite . My son goes to local sure start and so far that seems to be ok . It must be very hard for people that have been getting help to then loss it . My son school is charity based (mencap) . I'm just hoping in time things get better , well at least hope x
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

• Administrators
What councils are people falling under?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE