• VIP
[quote='tess' pid='26760' dateline='1297713255']
Im a technical officer working in DFGs for a local authority, parents of disabled children are not means tested, but if the cost of the work is more than the maximum grant i.e £30000 you will have to pay the excess, although our children & families dept paid some of a families contribution. A charge can be put on the property, if you sell the house within say 5 years you would have to pay some of the grant back. When I design extensions, I always look at the exisiting property to see if there is enough space to put some of the adaptation in the building, to save money for the LA & the client.

Tess
hi,
i understand that if there is a room that can be utilised that is ideal. but feel that the whole family circumstance has to be considered and that every case is different with regards to property and needs. by putting a shower room within my existing kitchen we will lose somewhere to dine as a family, my son will no longer be able to take part in activities in the kitchen like baking and will be in a separate room whilst iam cooking or ironing. he will be unable to walk in his frame from the living room up the small hallway and into the kitchen the little independance he has would be taken away. iam not making unreasonable requests iam just asking that my child have some quality of life and inclusion.

I never thought it would happen to me.

• Registered
(02-14-2011, 07:54 PM)tess Wrote: Im a technical officer working in DFGs for a local authority, parents of disabled children are not means tested, but if the cost of the work is more than the maximum grant i.e £30000 you will have to pay the excess, although our children & families dept paid some of a families contribution. A charge can be put on the property, if you sell the house within say 5 years you would have to pay some of the grant back. When I design extensions, I always look at the exisiting property to see if there is enough space to put some of the adaptation in the building, to save money for the LA & the client.

Tess

Hi Tess, could you tell me is there help available in Nothern Ireland?
Many thanks
Joanne